GO!

So Angry!

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Aug 6, '13 12:30pm PST 
Sabs vet wants to do more testing! NOW she says she isn't sure this is DM. Her reasoning? It isn't progressing fast enough! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!
Sabi drags her back legs, rolls her back feet, steps on her back feet and wobbles. She tested positive for DM. She has no feeling in either foot and is not aware of foot placement. Her hips are pain free for the most part and she still extends at a trot.
She is almost 12. Although she definitely has senior moments, she is aware and alert. Her appetite is good, she is happy and as playful as she ever was. Yesterday she was playing fetch! And the tail still works.
I don't know what else this could be and at this point I don't know that I care. Nothing at this point would buy me more then a few more months and I cannot fathom why anyone would want to put either one of us through this.
Sorry, end rant.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Aug 6, '13 12:52pm PST 
I understand. One of my regrets is that I had my little Cocker Cotton in the hospital for a week at the end of her life. She would have got better care at home and been with people who loved her instead of undergoing pointless stress and discomfort.

You know best at this point. Not the vet.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Tue Aug 6, '13 2:18pm PST 
hughughug frownhug So sorry you have to deal with this.
[notify]

Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Tue Aug 6, '13 2:27pm PST 
You know best as her guardian. If tests can't bring truly practical benefits for her day to day life, why put her through them?
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Aug 6, '13 2:34pm PST 
I hear ya, Sabs... Darrell was literally dying with blood work indicating liver disease and probably tumor presence... she wanted to hospitalize him and then neuter him and then treat the tumors IF he survived the neuter.
GIVE ME A BREAK... this was an old dog who had lived a great life and didn't deserve any more suffering.
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Tue Aug 6, '13 4:56pm PST 
sometimes ya just gotta say no. what good would it do? be glad she isnt progessing fast enogh. let her enjoy what she has with out cages, tests, and stress.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Tue Aug 6, '13 7:07pm PST 
Sabi...

Just walk away.

Its as all above have said...

Enjoy your time.. spoil Sabi as I know you are... and just breathe....

Make your peace now... Enjoy and have a little party... heck.. a BIG party.

I wont tell you what I would have said to the vet....

big hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hug
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Tue Aug 6, '13 8:12pm PST 
OK, I'm probably really stupid, but what's DM?
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Aug 6, '13 11:33pm PST 
Yoshi, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.
Degenerative Myelopathy is a disease that creates lesions on the spinal cord which destroy the nerves. It basically paralyzes the dog by inches, beginning for some reason at the back legs. It eventually would kill them and it is genetic. In German Shepherds for some reason it has a different signature and progresses fairly quickly. Dogs who test positive WILL develop symptoms if they live long enough. There is no proven treatment and no cure.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Aug 7, '13 12:50am PST 
Some vets get so caught up in the diagnostics/treatment side of their profession they forget to stop and think about the well-being of both the patient and the owner.

hug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2