GO!

Petit-mal seizure?

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 7:34pm PST 
Sonja has had brief episodes of shaking / jerking. Each episode only lasts seconds. Her behavior has not changed or does not change after the few seconds of shaking / jerking. Not sure what this is...if anything.

Anyone have any ideas?
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 5:02am PST 
Video footage would be priceless if you can catch the behavior so that you could show it to your vet.

The behavior has some similarities with a previous dog's type of seizures, but that dog had some recovery time afterwards of a bit of lethargy and almost dopey-ness.

Good luck!

Edited by author Mon Jul 8, '13 5:05am PST

[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 8:09am PST 
We have a vet appointment tomorrow. These episodes happen so quick...by the time I get the cameras video ready...it would be over. I'll let you know what our vet says.
[notify]

Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 5:12am PST 
I hope the vet had some good news for you.
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 10:34pm PST 
I"m suppose to track the episodes...time of day...how many in a day (if possible), how long they last...does she respond to me saying her name during an episode, etc. The vet said that her dog, Nessa, had something similar due to a heart arythmia.

She needs more info to say for sure what is happening. Could be muscular, neurological, arythmia, low blood sugar, pinched nerve...

I'll keep you updated.
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 8:41pm PST 
Well, rough day today. Sonja had a Grand Mal Seizure at two this afternoon. It lasted 6-8 minutes. The aftermath lasted almost two hours...disoriented, pacing, frothing, whining.

I secluded her in the bedroom with me...quiet, low light and put Peppermint Extract on her paws for a calming affect...then the emergency vet said I could give her Dramamene (sp?). After I did, she slept til 8pm.

She got up and is now acting "normal" and ate a little something. I will call my vet first thing in the morning.
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 5:05am PST 
I'm so sorry to hear this! A Grand Mal is terrifying to see and get through.

Her recovery time is about the same as our dog after a big one. I'm glad she's getting back to normal.

Our dog was put on medication which helped stop the seizures. It was so long ago I don't remember the name, though.

Very best wishes to you!

Edited by author Mon Jul 15, '13 5:12am PST

[notify]
Darcy

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 12:57am PST 
Try to get it on video for the vet. I’m sorry to hear about the seizures. The grand mal is the big daddy of them all! I recommend keeping a seizure journal. I’m very, very sorry.
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 12:00pm PST 
Thanks for everyone concern. Darcy, I am keeping a journal way to go We started her on Potassium Bromide (PB) since her last blood work showed she had slightly elevated liver values. PB isn't hard on the organs like Phenobarbitol is. Plus the PB comes in small chews and she loves them.

She is still having...what I'm calling "micro" seizures. The little head bobbles then nothing. The vet took some blood and we're still waiting on those results. That will give us a little more information hopefully.

During Sonja's exam, the doc noted her pupil's were different sizes from each other which may indicate stroke, brain tumor, or something neurological vs epilepsy.
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 4:13pm PST 
as soon as you can, after the seizure, give her all natural vanilla ice cream, just a spoon or 2, or a few drops of honey. helps balance the blood sugars. ice cream will also help lower the body temp.

if she has more, some raw beef liver helps replenish the blood. seizures raise the body temp, and too meny in a row can cause it to break down.

dylan is on both phen. and potassium bromide.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2