GO!

Best Supplements for Arthritis (Small & Medium Senior Dogs)

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

Ruby

I'm a lover not- a fighter

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 3:32pm PST 
Hi Dogsters,
Can anyone chime in for recs as to the best arthritis supplements for a small senior Pom mix and a medium sized Lab mix?

I'm looking for something with glucosamine, chondroitin, preferably green mussel, MSM and or just glucosamine HCL & chondroitin.

Also, the following supplement brands according to dogaware.com are not good:
Dogswell Happy Hips Chicken Breast with Glucosamine and Chondroitin contained almost none of the claimed glucosamine and chondroitin.
Joint Complete for Dogs and Cats (Liquid Solutions) contained far less chondroitin than it claims.
Joint Max Regular Strength capsules (Pet Health Solutions) contained far less chondroitin than it claims.This product also failed the same test in 2007.
K-9 Liquid Health Glucosamine with Chondroitin and MSM contained almost no chondroitin.
BioGenesis Nutraceuticals ArthroGenX contained almost no chondroitin and was contaminated with lead.
Joint Strength Essentials (MegaFood) contained no chondroitin and was contaminated with lead.
Source Naturals Sodium Free Glucosamine Sulfate Powder was contaminated with lead.
Estroven Joint and Bone (Amerifit Nutrition) was contaminated with lead.

Thanks,
Ruby and Romm
[notify]
BoyGeorge

Barked: Mon Jul 1, '13 8:13pm PST 
Does the dogs have other health issue? Better if you consult directly to a vet for good advice.
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 10:50am PST 
We have always bought 5 lb buckets of pure MSM powder for our dogs to relieve and prevent arthritis. We've been using this for over 15 years.

The brand we are using is "Animed Horse Care". They give instructions for dog dosage as well as horse dosage. Almost any feed store will carry one.
[notify]

Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 8:53pm PST 
When my old dog Frosty first got arthritis, we gave him glucosamine pills. We gave the same thing to my Rottie. Always consult with your vet before administering medication though. They'll know what is the right dose and what type of medicine to use.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 9:10pm PST 
The cheapest and best, IMO, is to buy human product like Move Free from your local drug store or Walmart. Standards for human product are higher. I get the recommended dose information from my vet.
[notify]
Dusty

Pooh Bear

Barked: Sat Jul 6, '13 6:42pm PST 
HI:
I've been giving my 2 dogs Dr. Mercola's Joint Support with BiovaPlex. I watch and read Dr. Karen Becker's info. and came across this and did some reading on it. Seems ok for my dogs so far.
[notify]