What is wrong with people?

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 2:06am PST 
Ok please don't answer that.
In the last few months I have had someone tell me Sabi should be dead, someone else ask me if I wished I had gotten a better dog, still another tell me I deserved a sick dog for buying a purebred and the ultimate jerk tell me I MADE Sabi sick by working her.
Of course there are always the losers telling me Shadow should die but I'm learning to ignore that.
But Sabs, that's different. She breaks my heart a little more every time she stumbles or falls, and it happens a lot now. I said I would wait until she told me it was time and right now, she just wants to chase birds and chew on bones. We still walk a few blocks, she still demands her meals and she still wakes me up every morning by hauling the front half of herself onto the bed and mauling me awake.
Why do so many people feel the need to comment on something that is clearly between me and my dog? I feel guilty enough. And I shouldn't, Sabs is 11 1/2, that's up there for a Shepherd and she's been a great dog and had a good life. I just want to enjoy whatever time we have left without being harassed.
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 4:07am PST 
silencedsilencedsilencedsilencedsilencedsilencedsilencedhughughughughughughughughughughughug Some people just don't have a clue and are Not dog/pet people. I would just continue to ignore them. If Sabi still seems to be a happy dog, for the most part, I wouldn't worry about it. She'll let you know when it's time. hug
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 5:25am PST 
hughughughughughughughughughughughug You and Sabi will decide between yourselves when it's time for you to part ways a bit. Until then ignore the jerksnaughty who don't know anything about either of you and enjoy life. You already know that though and so does Sabs!!wavehug
[notify]

Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 6:46am PST 
hughughughughug
People are jerks. (And you know there's better words I'd like to use for that, but it's Dogster so I'll keep it clean)

Bottom line is that they don't know you, and they don't know your dogs. They may see one bad episode for a brief point in time, but they don't see the big picture.
They don't see how happy Sabi is the rest of the time, they don't see how much joy she gets from chasing birds or chewing bones.

Sabi is a beautiful and strong girl, you know she's not ready to give up yet. Try not to let them get to you
hughughughug
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 8:36am PST 
I'll reiterate what everyone has said, because it is the truth.

They don't know your dog and they don't know you. Do your best to ignore the stupid ones and enjoy each day as fully as possible. They cannot matter when compared to your beautiful Sabi.
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 9:00am PST 
U should always do what you can live with. U will be the one who has to live the rest of your life with your choice. The vet should be able to offer you medication and a sling( so u can get her up and walk her if she can't do it herself) so you can keep her comfortable. The family I babysit for had a golden retriever live to 16. Her last 6 months she needed a sling to go outside. But was still happy (wagged ger tail, loved pets, loved food).
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 9:33am PST 
OUR Daisy sounds like she's in the same shape as your dog. We opted not to do the disc surgery because she is 7, her disc disease is chronic, and she has several other issues. We have her pain managed, and she still loves to go on walks, but we Ent take her in "public" anymore just due to curiosity, stupidity and having to explain her condition to people. Sad, but I know what we'd face-same things you are, but I lose my patience too quickly! I have had supportive vets and friends tell me we are doing the right thing, and we know Daisy isn't depressed or embarrassed, she just can't get up as easily as her sister, or stand for very long. If the time comes when we see she is in more pain than we can manage, or she loses her digestive abilities, we will deal with that then. Until that time, she is happy and loving and enjoying life despite her issues. Good luck, and remember, you can't fix stupidfrown
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 10:03am PST 
Thanks guyshug
I know I should ignore people but it hurts. I know that Sabi is in no pain, the one saving grace of DM, but I guess people see her fall and think I could be doing something cruel. I also know that some GSDs live to 15 or 16, in Buds line it was pretty common, but the average is about 12-13. Sabi was diagnosed with severe HD at age 3, it has never bothered her. I can't look at her when she falls because it upsets her, she is a very proud dog, so I just let her 'pretend' she wanted to sit down for a second. I love this dog, she saved my life. I would never do anything to hurt her and it kills me that I can't fix this for her. People tell me I shouldn't let her run, but I refuse to tell her she can't play. That WOULD be cruel.
I know that this is almost over, I don't need people telling me to rush it along.
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 10:20am PST 
You made me cryfrown
Honestly, people just don't get it. I can't even imagine how I'll let Lupi go when that time comes. It's a horrible part of living with dogs, and it doesn't help to have outside, thoughtless opinions.
Just focus on Sabi and what you still have. Enjoy every moment!
hug
[notify]
Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Play or hide?! I- dunno... @_@

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 1:03pm PST 
Ignore those jerks! There's a BIG difference between holding onto a suffering dog, and letting a senior dog live her last years out as best she can.

My mom had a border collie that had breast cancer. She was old and had lived a long life of abuse at a puppy mill before my mom adopted her. She had two surgeries in the time we had her, moved around slowly. Eventually she stopped wanting to go for car rides because she couldn't get up into the car by herself (she was also a very proud dog).

But she was still plenty well enough to hang out on the couch, and walk around in the yard, and get up to go eat/drink and ask for affection. Just because she was old and a little less capable, she still deserved to spend what time she had left relaxing with the family she loved.

We didn't let her go until the cancer came back a third time and she was suddenly very very sick with no desire to go on. She let us know when it was time.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3