GO!

Arthritis

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

Peter Parker

Peace, Love &- Dachshunds

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 8:35am PST 
Hey pals, So I've noticed within the past 2 weeks Peter has slowed down a little more than ususal. He did have cervical/back surgery on Halloween this past year, so it's been a good 7 months since his surgery. He was moving around real good, almost jogging, had fluid movement, no limping or anything like that, and could clear the one step we have to our front door easily. But, I've noticed the past week or 2 weeks that he's slowed down some. Then yesterday he had this limp-walk thingy he was doing on our evening walk. I didn't notice it on our morning walk. Weird.
So, I though maybe he tweaked something because earlier in the day he was in a begging position sitting on his back legs, I've been really really trying to get him to stop doing that even since his surgery but he steals a few in every now and then.
But, on the walk his shoulders and hips just looked, well, stiff or something. I compressed his back mildly to see if there was any pain or if he flinched but nothing....he tolerated it fine.
I only know what to look for as far as surgery or injury goes unfortunately. And since Peter is my first dog I'm so new to all this old-age stuff and it just breaks my heart. Of course I am going to make an appointment with our vet to have an arthritis evaluation but I was just wondering how many of you guys are dealing with this and for how long and what successful medication you have taken or are taking. Also, what were the signs and also, what ages.
Any input is appreciated. hug
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 2:14pm PST 
Aside from her other issues, Sabs has developed arthritis in her neck and shoulder. In fact 2 years ago it flared up so bad I thought we were done. Since then I have her on Medicam, as needed. The clinic keeps a prescription opened for her and I give her a few days worth here and there as I find she needs it. Realistically it depends on the severity, but I liked the option of using it only as needed.
Also remember so provide a soft, warm sleeping area and exercise. There is ample proof that movement alleviates arthritis pain.
[notify]
Peter Parker

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 9:26am PST 
Thanks Sabihug We have an appointment tomorrow at the vet. Are you giving Glucosamine or Cosequin? I bought some yesterday but he's only had a days worth, but it can't hurt at this point. I probably should have been giving it to him this whole time given he's prone to a back issues. With the Metacam Sabi's been fine with the arthritis for 2 years? I'm wondering how they will diagnose it? I'm guessing x-rays?
I'm really glad you found something that worked for Sabi. I'm hoping Peter is going to be ok.
[notify]

Sabi

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 11:10am PST 
Sabs been on Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM since age 3. I use the human brand since the dog stuff is the same thing at twice the price.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 10:38am PST 
I can't really give you much advice that Sabi hasn't but did want to let you know we hope Peter is feeling better soon and you and his vet can find the best treatment for his situation.hugwishes

wavehug-Sabi.
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 11:20pm PST 
M&K hug

It was about 2 years ago, wasn't it? I work too much time is sort of blurry for me.

Peter, Sabi was diagnosed simply on medical history and localized inflammation and pain that responded to the meds. Since anesthetic is a no go for her, x-rays will always be a last resort. Why waste the money if the dog is going to be moving around right?
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Sat May 25, '13 8:00pm PST 
Kashmir has arthritis in her back and both knees. Leader Sabi we also give Medicam as needed. She has good days and bad days also. We hope Peter Parker has a speedy recovery hug
[notify]
♥CHLO- E♥

Chloe's got Mom- wrapped around- her paws

Barked: Mon May 27, '13 1:22pm PST 
My vet prescribed "Dasaquin" & it was very helpful. We cut down from 2x a day to 1/2 twice a day.

I hope this helps. I know how hard it is on you & your familieshug
[notify]
Peter Parker

Barked: Tue May 28, '13 9:07am PST 
Thanks guys I appreciate the responseshug
Sure enough Peter scans showed some pretty bad hips cry The doc said they, I 'm guessing the bones themselves looked "flat" and that he didn't like the way that looked but it is what it is. cry Afterall, Peter will be 12 in September, we've had a good run with only the back surgery this past November. It's just hard watching him get old.
Peter did also have a soft tissue injury on his mid-back area, but the scans showed no further calcification of any of the other discs, thank dog for that. They gave his a Dexta-something rather IV shot, some methocarbanol and some prednisolone. He's been on then since Wednesday. Of course he's on strict crate rest too. But, I can tell when I carry him out to potty that his hips are pretty sore.
Other than that he is moving around a little better, but not like before. That's ok, though we are just going to have to take it easy from now on. In a way I am relieved to find out he has arthritis in his hips that way I can take appropriate measures when needed (i.e walking slower/taking easy from now on, going back to vet for pain meds if needed, continue the cosequin, just keep a more watchful eye out, ect..)
I just feel so bad for making him walk so much before all this, I feel like it's my fault or something. I couldn't imagine him making around the 2 blocks we were just walking 2 weeks ago. I can't get it out of my head and it makes me feel really really sad.
[notify]