GO!

This Portland woman wants to put her old dog down herself. Please advise.

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Zack

Move or I'll- plough you down!- (lovingly)

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 5:46am PST 
i would most definatly get a vet to come to the house. Whoever it is needs to call the vet and talk to them about the situation, something might be able to be done to keep the dog calmer. In its home environment the dog will be much less stressed, and perhaps the person could even give the vet an unwashed hoodie to wear, or ask them to come in their normal, non-work uniform so that they do not bring the scent of the vet practice with them as that might stress the dog out if its fear of vets is severe.
[notify]
Babe

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 7:13pm PST 
Even if he is terrified of the vet even coming to the house maybe they could give you something orally to knock him out before the vet arrives..then have the vet euthanize..

If you dont have your vets cooperation and its really a concern maybe try a horse or cattle vet..they travel as a norm..

I have horses and we have an older mare at our barn that is really bad for vets..there is an oral paste that we give her to sedate her before they work on her..even if you have to take him in if he was nicely drugged for tge car ride it may take the edge and stress off him..good luck.and let us know how it goes..
[notify]
Babe

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 8:13pm PST 
Even if he is terrified of the vet even coming to the house maybe they could give you something orally to knock him out before the vet arrives..then have the vet euthanize..

If you dont have your vets cooperation and its really a concern maybe try a horse or cattle vet..they travel as a norm..

I have horses and we have an older mare at our barn that is really bad for vets..there is an oral paste that we give her to sedate her before they work on her..even if you have to take him in if he was nicely drugged for tge car ride it may take the edge and stress off him..good luck.and let us know how it goes..
[notify]

Lacey

the duck

Barked: Fri Aug 16, '13 4:14pm PST 
it is illegal for anyone other than a DVM or someone under direct instruction and supervision under the DVM to euthanize an animal as far as I know
[notify]
Delta

Play hard, sleep- well.

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 6:56pm PST 
Have a vet come to the house. I could never shoot Delta because I wouldn't want her to die in pain.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2