GO!

how to discipline deaf blind dog

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 2:52pm PST 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "training" the definition of discipline? I don't think the OP meant discipline is in punishment.

OP - I'm sorry you are having to deal with something like this, but glad you love Wizzie enough to continue helping him and making sure that he has a good quality of life. My neighbors had a dog that became deaf and lost most of his site...they would crate him whenever there was food out or any kind of commotion that could cause any frustration (from him). They also crated him at night because like your kids, their kids loved playing games in the dark.

I'm not sure if this helps, but I want to wish you good luck. Please keep us updated on how it goes! hughug
[notify]
Wizzie

where's the- food?

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 4:48am PST 
yes of course I meant training not punishment - no point punishing dogs is there? Must be a translational thing.

Wizzie not good at the weekend. I had to carry him home from his walk on Saturday - luckily he is a skinny old thing these days. He just stopped walking and was doing more stumbling than walking anyway. Poor old thing, he may have been hypo (sugar levels) we gave him some glucose and he perked up an hour later at home.

Yesterday he was trying to 'talk' to my husband's jumper that was on the sofa back - he thought it was my hubby - obviously he does a lot by smell these days. It was pretty funny really in a sad sort of way. We never imagined he would end up blind and deaf, he has been so active all his life. He also brings me his ball to play with, but if I throw it he can't see it or hear it - bless! So I got a bigger ball so he has more chance of finding it.

The boys are being really good about respecting him and being more careful around him.

I have been gently lifting him down when he jumps up to the surfaces and tapping his nose (gently) to say no, he hasn't taken any notice of me so far!!!
[notify]
Tiny

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 6:21am PST 
My Jake is also in his declining years. So sad for me to see the once alpha dog of the pack, as now the most vulnerable. I do have some suggetions for you. Jake is now blind and deaf. He would not bite, but growl. I made a vibrating device for his collar by taking a small remote car toy, and removing the receiver from it. I placed it in a small cylinder and on his collar. Just use the remote control device and when pressed it will vibrate. He has learned when he is outside and it vibrates to come in. It also lets him know when someone is coming near him. It only cost me about 7 dollars to put together and works like a charm. There are other vibrating devices already made you might look into but they are a little more pricey. I think it has helped his confidence and awareness. He is more relaxed. He has learned to respond to the tugs on his leash when walking for direction. If you would see him walking you would have no idea he was deaf and blind. It takes a little patience, but it worked for him. Hope this helps...
[notify]

Eduardo

Mr. Personality

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 7:31am PST 
The absolute best way to control any dog is to treat that dog like it’s mother would. Make your dog sit and wait before eating. I put Eduardo’s food on the ground and make him sit and wait for at least 10 seconds before he is allowed to eat it. You may feel sorry for your dog, but don’t let your emotions get the better of you. Always enforce the sit and wait before eating. You also need to show your dog that you own everything. Your house, yard, food, and everything else belongs to you! Basically, your dog needs to see and respect you as the pack leader. Waiting before eating is the basis of this. A mother dog makes her puppies wait to eat. It’s a form of psychological work. Your dog may not hunt for food, but he still needs to work for it. All dogs need to work. It’s a good idea to take your dog for a walk before feeding. Only give him affection when he is calm. Exercise will really help this animal. A 10 minute walk once a day would probably be enough for a dog of this age and this condition, but you know how much he can handle better than we do.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2