Things That Make Your Senior Young Again

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Dakota

Bear - think you can- wrestle me?

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 10:16am PST 
Hello! I'm a first time poster! dog

What things do you enjoy doing with your non-furred family, as an older puppy? (wink

I'm going on 14.. and if I had to choose... it'd have to be that my non-furred best friend still teaches me things! I feel happiest when I learn and have a job that requires my nose or brain! Sometimes Golden Retrievers become sad when we don't learn anything new.

We started doing more activities that relied on my brain and good teamwork skills after I turned 11.. my joints started becoming more painful after certain activities. We still wanted to spend quality time together and partake in activities together to add some variety to our walks and lower the level of playing catch.

What about you guys? Have you tried anything new recently? smile
[notify]
Sage

Wiggle waggle

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 12:22am PST 
Harley will be 9 in december. The teo things that always spunks him up is the onset of winter weather and swimming. Food makes him happy but not spunky. lol.
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 4:21am PST 
the first snowfall
I am 10½ but roll like a puppy in the first snow
[notify]

Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 6:50am PST 
Jaxey loved the snow. Her picture was taken in October, 1 year ago. She looks so young in it. cloud 9
[notify]
Peg (In- Loving- Memory)

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 9:51am PST 
Peg is 16 years old, but she still loves to chase after toys in the yard (pain meds help a lot I think) and she still goes crazy for meaty treats.
[notify]
Cinnamon

wheres mommy?!

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 8:25pm PST 
We use a fish oil supplement that has really** helped with arthritis- omega qd is our favorite stuff!
Also use glucosamine, chondroitin, and msm tabs to help.
Thanks to the supplements our girl loves greeting her mommies at the end of the day, chewing nylabones, loves people laughing- she starts playing with her brudder, and runs around like a crazy cutie with her plush toys!!
[notify]
Sugar

Ooh ooh, can we- PLEASE go on a- walk!

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 9:21am PST 
Sugar will sleep almost all day at, and she is (about) 11 1/2 years old. However, a nice walk, a bully stick, an RMB, treats, and a quality time with her people really cheer her up. It is sad to watch her walk stiffly after waking up, or sleep so much. After almost losing her last year to marijuana poisoning (from our wonderful (sarcasm) neighbors when she got out, long story), I really learned to treasure every moment. Now Sabrina too is 6 1/2, but she is still very active. I love my elderly doggies!
[notify]
Molly

Shiba-dors rule!

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 10:15am PST 
wave Molly will be 9 next month. One thing that definately keeps her engine revving is her brofur Graham. He's just over a year old and they play together like puppies. They chase and wrestle with each other several times a day. Even though Molly may be a "senior" with a few more white hairs now, she is still mistaken for a puppy by people who meet her for the first time and her vet says she's got the body of a dog half her age. (Wish I could say the same, lol). Another thing that I believe has helped is that she has been on a grain-free diet for the last 7 yrs.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 12:04pm PST 
Going to the dog park is 12.5 year old Max's favorite thing to do nowadays. Not to play but to sniff butts and just be off leash around other dogs. Pretty much the only playing he does is with me, we play gotcha and he will run around a little bit. Even though he is over the 30 pound limit we go in the small dog area as he is terrified of the big dogs racing around the big dog part of the park. He adores small dogs and does his famous helicopter tail when he gets to meet one.
[notify]
Star

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 4:49pm PST 
When Star was 14, he was having trouble getting around. A friend told me about the Greenies for joint care. So we tryed them and it seemed in no time, he was not having as much trouble getting around. I had him on them until he passed at the age of 16.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3