GO!

Update: Arthritis and loosing weight

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

Harley &- Rubi

me, me, me it's- all about me!!

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 10:38am PST 
We took Harley to the vet 2 days ago... She started to drag her front leg. We had x-rays done and she has bone cancer. 2 days after her 9th birthday. cry The vet can't tell us if she has it anywhere else without more x-rays $$$$$. Of course I don't have the money for more x-rays. Harley is now taking Rimadyl, Tramadol and Galbapentin. Harley hasn't yelped or cried since she started the Galbapentin, she seems happy and go lucky. It breaks our heart that any animal gets cancer. This is our 3rd pet to get cancer. Again I wish to thank those who were honest with me in the beggining of my post. The vet said we could amputate her leg, then she would have to go through cemo. There would be no promise that the cancer would be gone. It could always come back. I do NOT believe in making our pets suffer to keep them around. As long as Harley is happy and not in pain or a sleepy state, she will be with us. Again thank you all again.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '12 12:41pm PST 
Harley is mastiff/rottie, right?. 9 yrs old is an old age for her considering the life spans of the 2 breeds. I wouldn't put her through any surgery and cemo. I would just let her live out whatever time she has left as long as you don't see her suffering in anyway. She'll let you know when she's ready to go. Until then, just love her up and enjoy each other. Cherish every moment. Please keep us updated on her. hughughughug to Harley and her family
[notify]
Harley &- Rubi

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '12 10:33pm PST 
Thank you so much. I totally agree with you. She went for a walk today sort of, She walked to the end of the block, then she got to go into the wagon and I walked her the rest of the way. We took a 40 minute walk. Every time I looked at her she looked happy and was just watching everything as we walked by it. Her spirits are up right now, she even charged the door at the mail man (her favorite thing to do) I block her, so the mail man doesn't freak out, but I just let her enjoy herself. She has been leaking pee and she gets up and looks like she's in trouble. I tell her its ok lets go outside to pee, then I clean her bottom and dry her off. She loves getting dried off by the towel. Thank you for all the loving thoughtssmile
[notify]

Angel Zane

I Miss You- *2005-2013*

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '12 6:20pm PST 
You are making a good decision. I wouldn't put my dogs through all of that either. Hugs and prayers as you go through this with your wonderful furry friend.
[notify]
Harley &- Rubi

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '12 9:20pm PST 
Thank you. Zane is a beautiful dog. We had a german shepherd/dobie mix, the best dog ever. Harley was heart broken when she left us.
[notify]
Dunkin

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 10:30am PST 
I think what you are doing is great. You have to take care if them when they are old and starting to run down. Just like you have to take care if a puppy. I wish you both the best
[notify]
Harley &- Rubi

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 8:02pm PST 
Thank you Dunkin. smile
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 12:24pm PST 
It sounds like you have a good plan for your family. I hope you have lots more good times.

It can take some playing around to find the right doses of pain meds. Sluggishness, nausea and incontinence are common side-effects. You may be able to lighten up on the doses and still manage the pain.
[notify]
Harley &- Rubi

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 11:00pm PST 
Thank you Vance. Harley is doing good at the moment. She still wags her tail and wants lots of attention as usual. Like I said before, I will not let her suffer. She's a good old girl. Again, Thank you
[notify]