Anticipatory Grief...

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kally

I caught a- squirrel once...

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 6:52pm PST 
Hi all,

My baby girl, Kally, will turn 10 next month. Well, as far as we know -- we adopted her when she was 1.5 according to the shelter, so I'm guessing she could be a little older/younger.

She's had a history of back problems (I just posted in the Dog Health forum) but is otherwise healthy. Sometimes, I just get overwhelmed thinking about her not being here. I have hope she will have many more good years but her back problems concern me.

She is my first dog that was *mine.* We had two different dogs growing up that I loved a lot but they were clearly more attached to my parents. I got Kally when I was in college... rescued her from a shelter and she is seriously an incredible dog. She is so smart and loving and really attached to me -- and me to her.

I don't know why I'm posting this... just wanted to get it out there I guess smile I can cry just thinking about her not being here. We also have another furbaby who will is 5.5... she adores Kally, she's her "big sister." I know she will also be devastated when Kally is no longer here and I worry about that too.

I guess I worry too much but I figured you would all understand smile I want Kally here for as long as can be, as long as she is loving life and has a great quality of life! Sometimes I think it is a "brave" thing to fall so in love with a dog because we know we will out live them... but I can't imagine my life without her smile

Thanks for listening smile
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 8:20pm PST 
big grinhug
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 7:34am PST 
I know what you mean. I have that all the time. After my baby Cotton died about 6 years ago, I never got over it. I have been worried about that grief with all the dogs I have now...and the oldest is only 5.

I guess it is the "fear itself" syndrome...Enjoy the time you have...we try to do that everyday.

And know that your baby has had the best life with you that she could ever have had. You have done that for her.
[notify]

Daisy

Use your nose!

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 12:14pm PST 
I can't give you any tips about how to help you get over the death of a beloved pet. It really does just take time. However, I can suggest that once your older dog does pass that you take a basic obedience course with your remaining dog. If you have already done basic obedience, take another course that interests you. When my older Chihuahua passed Daisy was definitely grief stricken, but going to a class and just doing new, engaging things with her really helped her get out of the funk she was in. And it did help me. I was able to bond more with Daisy.
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 6:27pm PST 
We just went through losing Jax and it's not fun. We are still trying to cope with it. You really don't realize how much a part of your life they are until they're gone. When I go to the store, I still have to remind myself that we don't need to get anything for Jax. As for Kali, she was raised by Jax and doesn't remember being without her. When jax was gone, Kali took it very hard, as we all did. It's only been the last few weeks that she's started getting back to normal. I think having Koby helped. He's a good distraction for all of us.
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 6:03am PST 
I have had to PTS four of my beloved dogs - three to old age and one to cancer. Kira that had the cancer was the really tough one as she was only six yrs. and it was very difficult to go through that with her. This is when you have to put your dogs quality of life ahead of your own feelings. Please try not anticipate your dogs death and enjoy every minute you have with her. It seems to be the price us humans pay to have the total unconditional love our fur babies gives us. I know some people vow to never get another dog as they think the grief is too costly, but I could never imagine not having any one of my dogs in my life. I think the grief is a small price to pay for the love that they give you. Now I look back at the good times I have had with my dogs and believe I gave each of them a loving home and a good life.
We will all be here for you when the time comes but 11 yrs is getting up there but not that old. Is she on any meds. to help her with the back pain?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 6:12am PST 
Seela-way to go I think to anticipate and fear the grief you will eventually feel takes away from enjoying the time you have now. It is very difficult to lose them but worrying in advance will not help. Enjoy the moment,she is here now,there will be a time and place for grief later.
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 4:44pm PST 
confused My advice is to enjoy your dog, take lots of pictures, and make sure she has a good life. The grief at her passing will be hard enough, so put that on the back burner until it actually happens. Celebrate the living being she is, and enjoy the bond you've built up.

During Dahlia's last few weeks, I should've given her more privileges, good "bad" food, and just let her enjoy what time was left. I didn't know it would be her last few weeks............
[notify]
Zoe ♥- CGC

Queen of the- Couch

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 6:27pm PST 
We also go through this as well. Our Zoe will be also be 10 this December. Just thinkin of life without that quirky dog makes me want to cry. Because i know she is older I let her get away with alot more she should. red face She can come on the couch when the parents are not home and i feed her people food when they are not here also, and she sleeps on the bed with me. laugh out loud But i try to enjoy her as much as i can and do special outings with her once in awhile. I would say enjoy your girl and love her up!!
[notify]
Kally

I caught a- squirrel once...

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 12:19pm PST 
Thank you all so much for your kind, supportive words smile I appreciate all the support and understanding!!!

Seela - Kally takes Cosequin and fish oil for her back... she's not generally in pain but when she has a "flare up," I have Tramadol and we use steroids if it gets really bad.

I know you are all right - I try my best not to think about losing her and to just enjoy spending time with her. I kiss her goodbye every morning and tell her what a sweet, special girl she is. I also kiss her goodnight and we snuggle every day smile

I can't imagine not having dogs, and I know even though my grief will be overwhelming that I will have many more dogs in my future. Kally is just my first and will always hold a special place for me. I know you all understand and again, I truly appreciate your kind, caring words smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2