GO!

Should I switch to senior dog food?

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3  
Dudley

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 12:49pm PST 
Bumping this old post - thanks in advance!

We rescued an 8 yr old Mini Schnauzer about 3 wks ago. We have an almost 3 yr old Springer who is doing well on Kirkland Chicken & Rice food. The new dog is currently on Nutro Lamb & Rice but I would like to have them on the same food if possible.

I was doing a search about seeing if I needed to give the new dog the "Mature" version big grin but am interested in hearing your opinions?
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 5:11pm PST 
My dog is around 11 years old and has never been fed a senior diet. Small dogs age slower and live longer than large dogs. At 8 years old you can feed your dog the same food as the younger one. He probably still is very active and healthy. He probably needs the same amount of proteins and fats as the young pup.

When you change the food, do so gradually.
[notify]
Dudley

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 6:31pm PST 
Thank you! Yes today was the first day experiment with a gradual mix of both foods. He tolerated it very well so far! cheer
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 9:19am PST 
Dink our catahoula mix was kept on adult kibble and she did fine lived to age 16.

I think switching her to wellness core ocean helped her live longer or at least a better quality of life as she was on beneful which she acted lethargic on that and come wellnesscore ocean she wanted to go on walks and play with toys and stuff.. She eventually slowed down as she got closer to 16, but still the change was amazing.

I feed Saya raw diet and don't think their is senior diet version of raw..

I'll probably adjust her portions some as she gets older, but she isn't a senior yet.

She already takes joint supplements.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3