GO!

Anyone have a stifle (knee) brace?

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tohbi - Deceased- 10/04/2013

Blue-Eyed Devil

Barked: Mon Sep 26, '11 6:51am PST 
I have a vet appt. in two weeks and I want to talk to him about a possible stifle brace for Tohbi. He's had surgery on his back knee, but the vet said that there was so much wear that - if he were human - he'd need a complete knee replacement. I just want something that will keep him from straining it (which he seems to do weekly).

Anyone have one? I've looked at two different websites and need opinions.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Sep 26, '11 10:21am PST 
Closest thing I've heard of is Bam-Bam's mom getting him those elbow things for the lumpies he had way back.

I'll be interested too, a co-worker has a young pibble who needs the knee surgery, but financially she can't swing it and the dog has probably neurological issues too, so she has an uncertain future anyway. A knee brace might be the best option for her.
[notify]
Samuel Jacob- (4/1/97-4/4/- 08)

We had seasons- in the sun......

Barked: Mon Sep 26, '11 1:20pm PST 
Rio Catalina used to use one, but she's doing SO MUCH BETTER now she doesn't need it any more!cheercheercheer

But she's a super nice pup and I'm sure if you asked her, she'd tell you all about it!way to go

Tohbi - Deceased- 10/04/2013

Blue-Eyed Devil

Barked: Tue Sep 27, '11 5:44am PST 
Omigosh - Rio looks great in that brace! That looks like its from one of the sites I've been researching (the other sites braces are white). On a side note, Tohbi has those booties too!

Rio's is the second story I've heard where the brace helped them rehab and recover. I have a friend who's dog did so also. She's actually the one who gave me the website information that started all this.

Hmmm.... I'm thinking this may be a good idea. Tohbi won't get better, but I need him to not get any worse. He never whines or complains, but I know it hurts him and he can't do the things he used to do.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '12 10:19am PST 
Hello Everyone,

I have had good luch with the A-Trac brace from woundwear. It helped real well for my dog Zep. He had a full tear. I did not go the surgery route because of costs and not being a 100% guarantee. The brace worked great! I suggest you take a look at woundwear.com and talk to them. The brace can be applied for different injuries as I remember.

Good Luck! Thanks

Ed
[notify]

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 10:09am PST 
My dog Bella had great success with the Woundwear A-Trac Dynamic Brace. After finding out about the injury, I took Bella into the vet and they wanted $4,000 to operate on her leg. It was painful, but I was prepared to max out my credit card to take care of her. I got to thinking about a brace for her leg, since humans have braces, and I found the Woundwear website. At a couple of hundred dollars, it was well worth the risk of trying something unconventional. My vet didn’t want to recommend the product because she didn’t know anything about it. I didn’t care, I ordered it anyway. We got the brace a few days later, and Bella wore it quite a lot for several weeks afterwards and we weened her off of it. Our vet has also been extremely impressed and said she would feel comfortable recommending the brace to other patients after seeing the huge improvement. Before the A-Trac brace, Bella could barely put weight on her leg and constantly limped and cried. Now, she’s ready for a rumble! I highly suggest this brace to anyone looking for a surgery alternative option!

-Anne K.
[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 6:08pm PST 
I know someone with an older dog that needed cruciate ligament surgery. Due to her age, surgery wasnt advised, and she got a brace for cruciate ligament support, and healed up GREAT. Although not an active lifestyle, she ended up with no need for surgery and out of the brace
[notify]
Pasha

Pasha - let\'s PLAY

Barked: Wed Aug 21, '13 11:57am PST 
What type of Stifle Dog Knee Brace has anyone tried?

I was warned that veterinarians receive a Referral Fee or Kick back just like any doctors receive for referrals for surgery or rewards for selling the most prescriptions. So its up to us to look out for our dogs and for ourselves, and question what anyone is trying to do to benefit from making a sale and if surgery is an option or is a Knee Brace the better option.

Very helpful article be low

I read Veterinary Practice News - Article - Questioning Canine Cruciate Surgery
article I read at .....
http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/vet-practice-news-colum ns/complementary-medicine/questioning-canine-cruciate-surgery.aspx?c m_mmc=10177433

Another article about Cruciate surgery and or Stifle Canine Knee Brace at 2ndChance.info Cruciate
http://www.2ndchance.info/cruciate.htm

and articles versus ACL CCL Cruciate Crucial Ligament Knee Surgery and or Dog Stifle Knee Brace at ...
TiggerPoz.com

Let me know what your experience was with a Stifle Dog Knee Brace?

Thanks for your help.
[notify]
Pasha

Pasha - let\'s PLAY

Barked: Tue Sep 17, '13 9:46am PST 
My dog was diagnosed by the vet with an ACL CCL cruciate crucial ligament torn knee tendon. Too old for surgery and with the economy, was very concerned if we could afford surgery, and read in the vet practice magazine that CCL surgeries have lots of complications, so be prepared that if the surgery does not go well, your dog's leg may have to be amputated, high chance of infection, resurgery, bone cancer at the implant site, etc.

We were told to have enough money saved for 2 surgeries, incase a resurgery was necessary.

Has anyone tried or had any experience with a dog knee brace?

I researched that the dog knee brace is great for dogs that are too old, too young - under 2 years old joints are not fully mature for surgery, dogs not healthy enough for surgery and for those that do not have pet insurance or cannot afford surgery.

The dog knee brace is a great alternative to surgery combined with conservative management. No running, no jumping, no steps, and only slow easy dog walks. Walking quietly around the house is ok, but on a leash out in the yard to prevent running.

We researched that it takes wearing the dog knee brace during the day daily or anytime when outside or for dog walks. She may have to wear the dog knee brace up to a year. Then with her older age, to wear out on dog walks and outings the rest of her life to protect her knee joint.

We tried several custom dog knee braces but were not providing enough support, had horrible velcro straps that stuck to each other, tangled up and took forever to get on with all the entanglement in the hair, and a terrible problem with slippage of the brace, not staying in position over her knee.

Then we tried a posh dog knee brace made in Florida.

A certified canine orthotist came to our home to make a professional cast for making the brace. The cast came out better then the previous casts made at the vet. As the canine orthotist specializes in making casts for custom knee braces and does a better job than the vet.

Vets don't specialize in making casts for knee braces, so thats why the vets cast did not turn out very good the first time. Vets make a plaster cast for broken bones but vets do not specialize in mobility orthotics or how to make a cast for a knee brace orthotic.

We were thrilled to see that the posh dog knee brace fit much better and had the best support. She was able to wear the posh dog knee brace for dog walking, going to the beach or walking on the trails.

The posh dog knee brace fit the best and was the best quality of the dog braces that we tried. It was easy and quick to put on, did not have velcro on the top straps, and the buckles were on the outside of the leg, click on and click off so easy to put the posh dog knee brace on in the morning and take off in the evening.

We have been trying to find a dog knee brace that actually worked, and finally spending 4 months trying dog knee braces, we finally came across the posh dog knee brace that actually was easy to put on, stayed up and did not slip and was the best made one we tried. PoshDogKneeBrace.com

Just thought I would share my experience. As it is so hard to find a solution that actually worked. I always post my experiences for products, business or services whether good or bad, as I know it helps other dog lovers in the same situation.
Hope this helps.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Dec 4, '13 12:55pm PST 
you can also try braces fro animal orthocare. go to www.animalorthocare.com you can wear these for about 12 weeks to help scar tissue development and avoid surgery.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2