GO!

Tummy troubles from glucosamine?

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Simba Zulu ~- In Loving- Memory

Beach Baby

Barked: Tue Aug 23, '11 3:03pm PST 
I just started my 12-yr-old Standard Poodle on a combo of glucosamine (300mg),condroitin (200mg), ascorbic acid (25mg) and magnesium (12mg). He's been on it about a week, given one tablet twice a day. A day or so after he had his first tablet, his feces became very soft, but still formed, and a lighter color than normal. Is this a normal reaction to the glucosamine combo, or could it be something else? Thanks for any insight you can provide. smile
[notify]
(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 3:11am PST 
thinkingthinkingthinkingthinkingthinkingthinkingthinkingthinking
are they canine supplemends?
because human supplemends can cause bowel issues....i think barking to the vet is a good option!
[notify]
Simba Zulu ~- In Loving- Memory

Beach Baby

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 7:00am PST 
Yes, you're right. They are human supplements, but my vet said they would be perfectly fine for Simba, and much less expensive. It's not that they are causing him any distress, it's just that Simba's mommy isn't fond of picking up gooey poop! wink However, another positive thing I noticed is that his coat seems shinier. Nice!
[notify]

(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 1:17pm PST 
i did read these supplemends are also available in canine meds.
maybe you can bark the vet for thoseshrug
butif simba is feeling beter,maybe her tummy just needed to adjustbig hug
[notify]
Bella

Rub my Belly!

Barked: Fri Sep 16, '11 5:10pm PST 
When we adopted Bella and started her on glucosamine and fish oil she had loose stool but after the first week things cleared up. I have recently learned I wasn't actually giving her enough to do any good so when I increased her doses her loose stool returned. It has been about 4 days and it is already cleared back up. Consult your vet and see what they think, but I would stick with it for a few days and see if it corrects itself.
[notify]
Zoey, Shellie & Griffin

Natural & Loving- it!

Barked: Sat Sep 24, '11 2:04pm PST 
Some dogs are super sensitive to supplements, I give mine Synovi G3 for their joints. I would maybe try cutting the pills in half and start off that way if he's still having problems. I have given Shellie my golden retriever human glucosamine without any problems.

Edited by author Sat Sep 24, '11 2:04pm PST

[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Sun Sep 25, '11 8:10pm PST 
is your dog sensitive to shellfish or iodine? Lots of glucosamine suppliments are made from shellfish like green lipped mussels.
[notify]

Barked: Sun May 20, '12 10:14am PST 
Its been a while, but maybe try a different way of delivering them. Vetriscience Gluco-Flex (I use level III for my basset mix, he's twelve) has ALL of that stuff except the magnesium. Why dont you try it? And then just supplement the magnesium? They're cheap and amazing.
[notify]
Tiara

Barked: Wed Sep 5, '12 5:56pm PST 
Have you looked at the breenies for joint care. It would be more of a natural ingredients then giving the dog glucosamine.
[notify]
Sampson

Barked: Wed Sep 5, '12 6:15pm PST 
Do not use glucosamine with MSM in it. MSM is an aspirin based product.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2