GO!

Selective hearing?

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

Amazing- Grace

Live 2 Lounge

Barked: Mon Jun 27, '11 8:53am PST 
Anyone have insight on my selective hearing. Mom can't tell when I'm ignoring her or not hearing well. We'd like to hear youlaugh out loud
[notify]
(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Mon Jun 27, '11 9:28am PST 
well it can be both...
it could be your hearing is getting lost some where between mister old agethinking
misty sniffs and try's to see if grace is sitten on a piece of her hearringshrug
it can also be a sign of Senior dogs canine dementia, which is similar to human Alzheimer's syndrome.
Symptoms of dementia include confusion, changes in behavior, lack of recognition for his name or well-known commands and lack of interest in things that previously excited him.
but you can also just don't want to hear some things anymoreshrugbig laugh
like,if my mom tells me NO MISTY,i just give her the i don't understand it anymore look...
shhshhshhshhshhshhshhshhshhshhshhshh
[notify]
Amazing- Grace

Live 2 Lounge

Barked: Tue Jun 28, '11 12:51pm PST 
It could be any one of the things you mention. Any home hearing tests to try?
[notify]

(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Wed Jun 29, '11 12:56am PST 
Hearing impaired dogs do startle easily.

The following are some simple tests you can try at home if you suspect that your dog is deaf.
It is almost impossible to test a unilaterally deaf (deaf in one ear) dog at home with any certainty.

Keep in mind that when doing these tests, the louder the sound, the stronger the vibration.
Any vibration or air current that the dog detects can, and probably will, get a response that makes you think that the dog can hear.
A unilaterally deaf dog should hear the sounds, but not be able to tell where they originated.
It may look around (even looking away from the source) to see where the sound came from.
While trying these tests, be sure your dog is not looking in your direction, or in the direction of the distraction.
You can also try a test when your dog is asleep.
If necessary, have someone hold the dog facing away from you.
Some hearing tests you can do at home:

• Jangle keys, a rattle, or a can of coins
• Squeak a toy (be sure that air from the toy doesn't hit the dog - try it behind your back)
• Call your dog in a normal voice - try yelling
• Clap your hands (you should be far enough away so that he doesn't feel air movement)
• Whistle or blow a whistle
• Turn on a vacuum cleaner (be sure it's far enough away from the dog so that the vibrations or airflow don't reach him)
• Bang two pots together (be careful of air vibrations reaching your dog)
• Ring a bell or have someone ring your telephone or doorbell

Remember that if the dog is unilaterally deaf, you will get a different response depending on which side it is sleeping on or from what angle the sound has been directed.
Some deaf dogs may hear very low or very high-pitched sounds.
They may perk up, look around and have an expression on their face that asks, "What was that?"
This could be an advantage if it's true for your dog - try using a dog whistle and see if you get a response to it.

If your dog doesn't hear normal sounds at normal volumes, chances are that it is deaf.
Ask your vet or trainer if you feel the need for a second opinion. Like we said before, the only way to know for certain is to have the dog BAER tested.
A BAER test is the only 100% reliable method for determining that a dog is deaf (or for measuring the extent of its hearing loss).
BAER (pronounced "bear") stands for "Brainstem Auditory Evoked Response" and is a procedure using computers to record the electrical activity of the brain in response to sound stimulation.
This is the same test used to check the hearing of human infants, and measures the same range of hearing.

http://www.deafdogs.org/faq/
[notify]
Margaret ~- 18 wonderful- years

I love lavender!

Barked: Wed Jun 29, '11 6:59am PST 
Oh, I have wondered this before. I realized mine weren't faking when they couldn't hear me asking did they want a cookie. confused
[notify]
Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Wed Jun 29, '11 12:56pm PST 
I've wondered the same thing, but I think my old dog is just unable to hear the register of voice that I use, because she responds to my mother but not to me. That's what I get for having a high voice smile
[notify]
Molly

Yes I do have to- wag with my- whole body

Barked: Fri Jul 1, '11 12:22pm PST 
Romeo a dog that I care for had selective hearing for a while before going totally deaf (sometimes I wonder how total it is). He would completely ignore a command but if you even touched his collar he would be alert and ready to go for a ride and gods forbid you pick up the can opener or a food bowl. As he lost his hearing further we found that some pitches worked better than others. Higher pitched sounds worked better than the lower range. We now use vibration to call him since his hearing is almost completely gone. I will tap my foot on the floor near him to call him or bang something metal when he is out in the yard. He also knows hand signals. These are things you might try. Try different things such as tapping your foot, banging something, or clapping to see what your dog responds to.
[notify]
Amazing- Grace

Live 2 Lounge

Barked: Tue Jul 5, '11 12:03pm PST 
Thanks Molly! We did a couple good ear cleanings and it seemed to help some. We've been incorporating hand signals just in case it progresses.
[notify]