GO!

Not wanting to eat

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Margaret ~- 18 wonderful- years

I love lavender!

Barked: Thu Jun 23, '11 10:29am PST 
My Margaret will be 18 in about 6 weeks. I know I am beyond blessed to have had her this long. She was diagnosed with Cushings several years ago and we've only had to treat her symptoms instead of treating the disease. Of course, she's always had an (overly healthy) appetite. So, it greatly worries me that she hasn't really wanted to eat lately. I did take her to the vet about a week ago and I got the prepare yourself talk and came home bawling, with some canned food. Now, I know we need to prepare ourselves...she will not live forever. But, just how am I supposed to do that? Like you really can. It wasn't her usual vet and she even called her by the wrong name. So I left a little aggravated. confused I know that part of it was just her being honest about something I didn't want to hear. cry

Anyhow, we are rotating different canned foods, scrambled eggs, chicken and rice...whatever we can get her to eat at the time. I got her to eat an egg and some chicken at lunch. She wont touch the latest can we opened. I don't know what to do. I know I don't want her to suffer, but I don't really know that she is or that she's not. She still wags her tail when her daddy comes from work. And quite frankly, I am not ready to take things into my own hands and put her down. I can hardly even type those words. cry

I don't know what I'm even looking for here. Obviously, any advice is welcome. But, I guess I just needed to ramble somewhere that I knew others would understand and maybe find some support for this next chapter that has crept up on me uninvited.
[notify]
Sally Beaker-

Professional- Bone Horder

Barked: Thu Jun 23, '11 12:08pm PST 
hug
That's never an easy choice. I'm still with my first set of dogs and hopefully we'll still have quite some time together. But my family has always had dogs, so I'm not a stranger to the loss of a beloved dog.
I've always heard that when your dog loses interest in food and activities that they really enjoy and just gradually get worse, it's time to let go. Which of course is so much easier said than done. I think it's one of those things that when it's time, your dog will let you know.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Thu Jun 23, '11 2:20pm PST 
The only advise I can give you is this...

You have to think of her quality of life. Do not be selfish, think of how she truly feels.

It's sad and it sux no matter how you look at it. But she has had a long and wonderful life. Look into her eyes, what do you see?

I looked into Turner's eyes and knew it was time. Good luck.hug
[notify]

Sachi- (1997-2012)

Dirt is a girls- best friend!

Barked: Thu Jun 23, '11 7:55pm PST 
Does she still eat treats?
[notify]
Aiki

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Barked: Thu Jun 23, '11 8:57pm PST 
It could be something as simple as a toothache which would make her refuse food. It could also be that her sense of smell has diminished so that only *really* good smelling food will do. Make sure her food isn't too cold if it's canned. She may also just be having a reduced appetite if she's slowing down even more.

Keeping you in the hearts of our whole pack.
[notify]
(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 3:06am PST 
well on her age there are a lot of reasons why she stopped eating.
like aiki barks...
it can be her teeth,old dogs can have dental pawblems.
it can also be that she just has enough and that it is her very old age.
it's known old dogs let owners know their life is coming near that dreadfull moment when they stop eating and most times trying to give the yum food is an option than,unless it interferes with the health issues they have.
talk with your vet.
talk about what can be best for her.
maybe there are still options to keep her as happy as possible.

big hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hug
[notify]
Margaret ~- 18 wonderful- years

I love lavender!

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 5:38am PST 
Thanks, everyone.

Her teeth are in pretty good shape. She had a thorough dental cleaning and a tooth extracted about three years ago. Ever since, I have brushed them daily. But, that's why I took her in to the vet...to make sure it wasn't something obvious and easy to fix. She does still eat her treats...still loves her cookies. And I do warm the canned food, especially if it's been in the fridge. I know I wouldn't wanna eat that stuff cold. confused

I always heard that as long as they are eating and wagging their tail. She was doing both up until recently, so I know we have some real thinking to do. frown

Anyhow, thanks for the support.
[notify]
Libby

Shake it baby!

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 4:00pm PST 
Good luck to you both. Your in our hearts and prayers.hug
[notify]
Sachi- (1997-2012)

Dirt is a girls- best friend!

Barked: Sat Jun 25, '11 12:24am PST 
My Jack Russell, Keiko, became a very picky eater in her old age. I had to feed her by hand and switch canned food around a lot. Some days she ate a good amount and other days she ate very little. This went on for a long time. It was a struggle to keep weight on her.

I knew it was time to put her down when she completely stopped eating. She always loved treats but she didn't even want those. She was a shell of herself. I took her to the vet and sure enough her organs were shutting down and she was hypothermic. She knew she was dying and was ready to leave this world. I was the one that had to accept it and give her a peaceful send off.

The one thing I regret is not knowing that she was hypothermic before we went to the vet. When I think it might be Sachi's time I'm going to keep close tabs on her temperature.

Edit: I'm so sorry that you are going through this difficult time. My thoughts are with you.

Edited by author Sat Jun 25, '11 12:25am PST

[notify]
Ava, NTD

Miss Ava Roo

Barked: Sat Jun 25, '11 10:29pm PST 
You might try getting a can of green tripe and see if she'll eat that. I've never known any dog to turn down green tripe. hug to you and Margaret
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2