GO!

Arthritis

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

Buddy

Lives to Smell- Every Blade of- Grass

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 12:14pm PST 
I have been experimenting with Calcium/Magnesium Citrate with my 13 year old Black Lab. He was in severe pain with arthritis this last year and deteriorating badly. The vet said that pretty soon we would have to start using a sling to get his hind legs around. I asked the vet if I could try the Cal/Mag Citrate, Citrate because it is the most easily digestable. My Lab has been improving drastically. The existing arthritis in his spine, hips, legs, etc. has not gone away, but, he is getting up and laying down and walking around tremendously and back to enjoying his life. We have been able to knock back the various shots we were giving him which have glucosamine and Hialuronic acid as we also give him them by mouth. I just wanted to pass this along. We are just putting the powder in his food, and a 3/4 capsule in his mouth at night to sleep. He can't seem to digest the capsules. We are now giving him digestive enzymes with his Natural Balance food.blue dog
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 6:20pm PST 
That is exciting! Is it the magnesium? Kibbles can be low in it, NRC suggests using quite a bit more.
[notify]
Zoie

45 Mile Per Hour- Couch Potato

Barked: Sat Apr 30, '11 6:09pm PST 
I am glad to hear that your dog is doing much better.

Beneficial magnesium in dog foods is typically provided by whole grains, fish, fish oils or dairy products that are present in the dog food formula. It is necessary for proper absorption of vitamins and minerals needed for good health. Magnesium in pet foods is included in whole ingredients and is rarely listed as a supplement or individual ingredient in food..

Greenies has come out just recently with a joint care product that works really well. Zoie loves them and her arthritis has gotten better with them too. Here is the website if you want to look up the information.

http://www.greenies.com/en_us/Products/JointCare-Dog -Treats.aspx
[notify]