GO!

How long might she live?

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Sun Apr 10, '11 5:14pm PST 
Okay so, the other day I realized Eppy is going to be 12 and it really freaked me out. So set my mind at ease okay?

She's been in great health her whole life, and she's small which I know adds some time for us. But how long are we talking? Will I have her with me yet another 6 years or so or is she going to leave me any minute?

I know it's silly for me to be paranoid but I'm really worried about this.
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 2:40am PST 
One of my distantly-related family members had a dog of a breed similar to yours (I can't remember specifically what it was, but roughly the same weight/temperament/etc/all that) and I'm pretty sure it came from a BYB or some other less-than-stellar breeder. She lives to be about 17 or 18 I think. So six years? Yeah, I don't see why you couldn't expect something like that. 11 would be not uncommon age for something like a German Shepherd to live to (my perception may be flawed since lots of people around here own BYB shepherds and treat them with the same quality that they feed them), but VERY young for a less than 10lb dog to die at.

Edited by author Mon Apr 11, '11 2:42am PST

[notify]
The Hounds- of- Bassetville- +3

Food? Where?!?

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 8:56am PST 
You could easily have another 6 years with her, but honestly I think it's best not to focus so much on that. Instead, focus on the day to day time you spend together. Focus on doing everything you can to keep her happy and healthy so that she can age gracefully. I don't like to look at the "average lifespan" numbers, because, honestly... they are just that, an average. Many dogs live many more years than what the "average lifespan" is. hug
[notify]

Rico Suave

I IS DA EVIL- LITTLE PILLOW- THIEF!

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 9:32am PST 
I totally agree my rottie mix (rotxlab for sure prolly a lil pitty in there too) is almost 16 and still going strong! even my dingo australian cattle dog was 16 when she passed (all her litter mates and parents had passed before she was 3 i believe)

just enjoy your time. dont worry about average time spans you cannot always go by that
[notify]
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 9:55am PST 
Thanks everyone. I keep having a recurring nightmare that she dies before I can get her over the pond to be with me (I am, as we speak, collecting paperwork and looking into importation-- okay I've not FOR SURE got the job yet, but just in case I wanna be ready!). It is fueled in no small part by my parents repeatedly telling me how cruel it is to put her on the plane and that she can't possibly survive the trip at her age (something that has sort of been covered in the other thread I made which was more specifically about older dogs traveling, but since that didn't calm my fears of her dying I decided to just be more direct about it).

I just keep imagining importing her and having her die soon after and never knowing if it was my fault for putting her through the stress of the plane. Like I said, not at all rational... but persistent, nonetheless. frown
Maggie

Wiggle-Butt

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 11:58am PST 
12 is more like middle-aged for toy breeds... they don't usually act "old" at that age, I think because they are less prone to arthritis than big dogs. (which is the main reason old dogs slow down.) 16 is a realistic lifespan for toy breeds, barring accidents and diseases.

And the plane thing, she's not too big to fly in-cabin, is she? So next time you're able to come back stateside, she could fly back with you. (I'm sure you've considered this and all other options, of course, knowing you!)
[notify]
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 4:36pm PST 
Thanks Maggie. Once I know when she can come over after her titer or whatever, I plan to make a trip back to the States-- I'll visit my family and then fly over with her in the cabin with me. I wouldn't want to risk putting her in cargo, I've never heard anything but horror stories about that.
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 5:09pm PST 
Eppy, I understand your concern. However, the reality is *none* of us know how long we will have our dogs. I have seen many heartbreaking stories on dogster of dogs lost much too soon cry There are no guarantees, *but* generally speaking small dogs can live a very long time. I met a man tonight who said he met a 21 year old dog who looked like Bunny that was a spry as can besmile Chis ( who are generally the same size as Eppy) can live up to 20 years! So, you could potentially have her for another 8- 10 yearssmile Of course, the sooner you get her with you , the happier you will behug
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 10:30pm PST 
If she will be in the cabin with you then I don't think there is anything to worry about in terms of the trip being too much for her at that age. If I ever fly with Samson I am going to find an airline that allows pets and purchase an extra ticket for him for the seat (since he's a huge dog). It was nerve-wracking when he was flown to me at 8 weeks in cargo all by himself.
[notify]
Bonnie Lass- -in loving- memory-

This is soft,- I'm sure I'll- fit on it!

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 12:10am PST 
Bonnie lived to be just about 16. She was in great health right up until the very end. Once we started seeing the decline it all happened rather quickly, but they were an amazing chunk of years and I am so thankful for every one of them!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3