GO!

Breathing Issues

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

Belle

I love being a- princess!

Barked: Thu Apr 7, '11 5:24pm PST 
My maltese Belle will be thirteen next month but she still acts like a puppy. The issue I've been noticing for the past couple of months is with her breathing while sleeping. She sleeps on her side and after she falls asleep she starts to snore and then she breathes heavily. I usually tap her when she begins breathing heavily and she takes a big deep breath. I don't know if this is a cause for concern or if it's just a senior dog thing. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Fri Apr 8, '11 8:05pm PST 
Maybe her head and neck are in just the wrong position? Sassy would do that when she was older too. For some reason the uncomfortable breathing position didn't disturb her sleep enough and she didn't correct on her own.
[notify]
Dr. Zira-In- Memory

Welcome to the- planet of the- monkey dogs

Barked: Sat Apr 9, '11 5:15am PST 
I wouldnt freak out but Id mention it to the vet--it could be a symptom of a heart problem which can be pretty treatable or it might just be waht Sassy says
[notify]

Kai

Still even more- to learn.

Barked: Sat Apr 9, '11 6:53pm PST 
Never hurts to ask the vet or even opt for the chest x-ray my first Akita did that as she got older,turned out to be congestive heart failure,she also coughed during periods of intense activity. My youngest of the two I have now has snored loudly since we brought him home at 8wks. with him it's a mild allergy /sinus thing and nothing to worry about.Even if it turns out to be nothing ,better safe than sorry
Good Luck we'll keep our paws crossed for you.
Mika,Kai,&Mommy
[notify]
Belle

I love being a- princess!

Barked: Sun Apr 10, '11 7:04am PST 
She's due for her annual exam in July, do you think it will be ok to wait for then?
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Sun Apr 10, '11 7:16am PST 
No, go now instead. It is recommended for senior dogs to get checked up every 6 months anyway. If the breathing is normal once she is shifted then I doubt it is a heart problem causing it but check ups are good any time you have a concern. If she hasn't had blood work done get it. It costs but treating heart, liver, kidney or pancreatic disease early is much better than having to make decisions in an emergency situation.
[notify]