GO!

Selegiline for doggie cognitive disorder

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Fri Jun 28, '13 10:33pm PST 
happy dance Oh-Dee, I'm so happy for you (and your person) that the Selegiline is making such a profound difference for you!! Thank you for these heartwarming updates. I could completely picture what you described and relate to it as well. Especially on your very first update where you spoke of "remembering" how to play fetch rather than wandering aimlessly around the yard. That is WONDERFUL. It almost sounds as if Selegiline gave you your dog back!

I know this treatment doesn't work well for all dogs who are senile (for some it has no effect at all, from what I heard), but I am very glad that you are one of the ones getting excellent results! It is obvious how much your person cares about you, and is treasuring this time of your life, even with its challenges. cloud 9cloud 9
Pudsy

Barked: Sun Jun 30, '13 9:35am PST 
I found this post when researching Selegiline and immediately signed up for Dogster. Like Oh-Dee, my Pudsy just started the drug recently. Four days ago to be exact, and I can't wait for it to kick in (fingers crossed).

Pudsy is around 16 y.o. and has failing vision, hearing, and now the disorientation that comes from CCD. Walking in to walls; not remembering how to climb stairs; standing at the wrong side of the door waiting for it to be opened; and waking up at 3 a.m. for a random non-stop barking jag. The good thing is that she's rarely anxious-- it's more like her head is "empty."

It's promising to read the good results for Oh-Dee. Please do continue to update!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Jul 1, '13 4:27am PST 
Well, sadly, the owners of our boarding dog's vet refused to try the Selegiline, instead put her on Acepromazine. NO WAY, NO HOW am I keeping a dog tranquilized with Ace for an entire week, especially in the heat!!!!!!!! Besides, when there are neurological issues Ace is the last tranquilizer to use, it just makes them WORSE.
So, we are back to crating and using Benadryl. I was away when she came so I didn't get to talk with them but I am suggesting a NEW vet when they get back!!!
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 12:41pm PST 
hi- my dog coco also has ccd. everything that u wrote about Duncan-a beautiful beagle is what coco has. he goes around in circles, pees and poops in the house. before he use to bark at the door or elevator coming up and also use to take himself to bed now u can see the dementia. yes its very hard seeing a loved one dog or human detriotating brfore youe eyes an to u try to do whatever u can. owning a dog can run into the thousands. my boy got a mct tumor gd 2 in 2009 removed. i aligh profileso started to see the deep decline when he hit 14 yrs. i found him abandoned in a dirty lot and a note attached that read take me home with u im homeless. thanks. when h is gone i will read it over and over. im 66 and i was a animal rescuer in nyc and many hiofile meetings for the strays of nyc to help them. i cannot walk good and neither can he his back legs are jello. i hope God takes him i do not want to have the trauma of a vet putting a needle into him and watching him close his eyes. i do not think i will ever recover from this. life will end for me too. pls write-my name is peaches-1176977. ps did u have to go put Duncan down or did he die naturally. u can go and get another dog, i cannot. good luck.:
[notify]
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 9:41pm PST 
wave Hi Pudsy's mom. Hi Coco's mom.

Pudsy - yes, Duncan had all those kinds of symptoms too. Where it seemed like his head was "empty." The 3 a.m. barking jags are familiar too. Those were sad for me though, because I'd go to him to try and comfort him, and it seemed like he didn't even know I was there. Toward the end. I'd touch him, (pet him, etc) but he just seemed confused, like he didn't know what that was.

Peaches - is Coco a beagle also? They are very wonderful. I understand about his loss of mobility along with the CCD. Duncan suffered from that too. His back end was atrophying day by day. Sometimes I'd find him awake, lying in a puddle of pee. I don't know if he couldn't get up, was too weak from muscle loss and sore from arthritis, or if he just forgot to get up or didn't even notice that he had peed. It is hard to tell when they are old and they have lots of different problems.

To answer your question, I kept waiting for God to take Duncan. I think I waited too long. He was suffering - but it's hard to tell how much - I can only guess based on what I saw - but he didn't have a good quality of life. I finally decided I had to stop being a coward and do what was right for Duncan. I took him to the vet, where he gorged on the messiest, smelliest meal ever (he still loved food); and then they gave him something to sleep, and then he left this world, cradled in my arms.

No one else can know what will be right for you and Coco, though. It will be hard no matter which way it goes.

I've no doubt you'll keep reading that note that was attached to Coco when you first found him. Amazing isn't it? That note seems a bit sad, yet it was the beginning of the great life he had with you. It will be a treasured memento for you now. I am surrounded by my memorials of Duncan. I have a pawprint that my friend, one of the vet techs, made on that last day we had together. She also made for me a beautiful chain of beads, attached to a picture of him within an ornate metal frame, that hangs from my car's rearview mirror. And another friend made for me the most lovely hand embroidered pillow featuring a beagle puppy (with Duncan's own colors) and his name.

It's hard to lose a dog when they are such an important part of our lives. There's nothing anyone could say to make that less true. It hurts and it's hard. But we really still have them forever, they live in our hearts. Life does go on and if you believe in the Rainbow Bridge, or some kind of hereafter, be peaceful knowing you will see Coco again when the time is right.
hughughug

Sorry y'all for derailing this thread a little bit.

Barked: Sun Aug 4, '13 7:26am PST 
in response to the post by the owner of oh-dee....i just started my jack russell who is 18 years old on selegiline...2.5mg per day. her first dose was august 1, 2013 last thursday...she would go into pacing and circling "fits" everyday about an hour after her supper...from 6 to 8:30 p.m. she would just circle, pace, wander and be amped up beyond belief...i talked with her vet and even though he was not optimistic about selegiline helping we decided to try it...that was last thursday so she has been on it for 4 days as of this morning...her episodes are not as severe and happen a little later in the evening but the duration of each episode is much less...15 minutes or so as compared to 2 hours. i also give her a valium 1.5 mg usually around 5 oclock...no doubt this helps with the anxiety so is it the selegiline or the valium...?????...i think it is both...she does not seem as lost or confused and i attribute this to the selegiline....yeah yeah i know the vet said it would probably take at least a month to two months before i see any effect....but i am seeing it in four days!...different dogs different systems, right? she does not seem agitated or anxious...i attribute that to the valium...not to mention that the valium and the selegiline are good for her bad back. i will post updates as this plays out.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 1:25pm PST 
hi pudsy.s mom- my name is Lydia and coco is a boy lasha. yours is a white promerian? very pretty. they get dementia just like a humans and as its heartbreaking to see a human not recognize family,so is it with our dogs too. maybe I will ask for a small dose tranquilzer for him, I know im going to need a stronger one for mmyself when he dies. to look around the apt and call his name is going to send me to crying fits.

im 66 yrs old and bad knees that I ca not walk good-a walker with no kids,husband. I need dogster friends to help me. now this vet wants me to do a acth test 250.00. I just had a 150.00 blood test done on him. lashas die from kidney problems. get me here or lydiaprincipio@yahoo.com bye.:
[notify]

Barked: Mon Aug 26, '13 7:45pm PST 
Hi all I have a gorgeous and precious Shih Tzu named Margo - she will be 12 in November. She has been so lost, confused, paces, potties in the house, doesn't "need" the love and attention she once did (that just kills me) not to mention she doesn't give me the love and attention I "need" and once got from her (that kills me most). The vet diagnosed her with doggie cognitive disorder and she has been taking the Selegiline for 10 days now and no improvement is there a basic timeline to notice a change? I take her back in a month for a check up. The vet said I should see something in a week or 2, but 10 days and nothing. I'm hoping this is normal any thoughts?
[notify]
Maddy

Barked: Mon Oct 28, '13 3:42pm PST 
Hi there. I tried Anipryl years ago and had good results. I want to start another dog on it, but was curious where you all are purchasing it from, the price and is it a tablet that can be cut. My dog needs 2 mg or 2.5 mg and I am checking websites and such for my vet as her 3 suppliers only carry 5 mg. I'd like generic if possible.

Edited by author Mon Oct 28, '13 3:48pm PST

[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Wed Nov 6, '13 11:22am PST 
Bumping this thread to get it above the spambots AGAIN
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3