GO!

Selegiline for doggie cognitive disorder

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 8:26pm PST 
Just thought I'd share in case anyone else is thinking/wondering about this therapy for doggie senility.

Duncan is nigh 16 years old. Well past the average life span of beagles. (I need to take some new pictures of him, but it sort of makes me sad at this point...) Anyway, he didn't even seem to age much, until about 1.5 year ago, since then his health has steadily deteriorated in many aspects.

Anyway, one of Duncan's issues is basically senility. It's hard to tell what is what sometimes, because his sight and hearing also are failing, and he pees and poops inside, but the vet says there may also be a loss of nerve sensation that is contributing to that, due to arthritis in his spine.

But, Duncan seems confused a lot - like he doesn't know what's going on around him. For a while he became - how can I explain? - in a bad state of mental distress. He would spend all day pacing madly, sniffing intently, and walking through his own pee and poo messes (I do work, so someone isn't always right there to clean).

I tried supplements (like Missing Link and a couple others), no help. My vet suggested we try Selegiline which is a drug that has been used in human Alzheimers patients, I think? I agreed with great skepticism because even my vet said it only has any apparent effect, at all, in about 50 percent of cases where it's tried.

Taking the Selegiline daily, Duncan has improved incredibly. He is not pacing in that freaked out way. He still pees and poops inside, but he avoids stepping in it, which I think is a very basic sign of a dog mental health.

I don't know for sure if it's the Selegiline, but the improvement happened just after I started him on it, so maybe it is just a huge coincidence, but I am keeping him on it because I think it is working.

I know there can be some side effects but the last two labs, his bloodwork has come back showing very healthy on everything.

Anyway, has anyone else tried Selegiline specifically?
♥- DarlaMae - ♥

I Am- Iron Nose- !

Barked: Sun Mar 27, '11 12:34pm PST 
Duncan so glad you are finding help with this medicine.way to go I am not at this stage in life yet. I hope others can share their experience with Cognitive Disfunction and any help they have found dealing with this issue.
Keep on Keeping on!dog
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 5:13am PST 
I feel your pain. My dog Oh-Dee, who is half Jack Russell Terrier half Boston Terrier will be 17 on Septemebr 25, 2013. He has the same thing.
I just started him on Selegiline yesterday June 16, 2013. One pill a day. My vet gave me a prescription that I had to get filled at the pharmacy which was a first for any of my dogs.

I'd like to post results here as time goes by.
[notify]

Duncan

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 12:27am PST 
Yes, we picked up the Selegiline at the "people" pharmacy too.

Duncan is an angel now. He was with me for another 9 months or so after I wrote this post. The Selegiline was a wonderful help for him in that time. He never returned to that "agitated" state that looked so miserable. His cognitive dysfunction did advance, however, just in terms of him being foggy, and not even responding much to me or his environment. That part of it continued in spite of the Selegiline, I mean.

It's hard to see them declining in health, all we can do is make it as comfortable as possible for them. Wishing you the best with Oh-Dee. The Dogster community will be here to support you. welcome
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 12:41pm PST 
We have a boarding client who is having some real issues with CCD. She totally panics and tries to chew her way thru chain link, crates, etc. I did find she is much calmer in a darkened fiberglass crate so we have been doing that. Yes, she is also panicking at home as well.
Interestingly enough, her "father" is a neurologist and we had a big discussion this morning on the benefits of trying Anipryl (Selegiline). I did research other drug options but there really aren't many choices out there.
Hopefully, it will work well for her because otherwise she is a very young 13 years old and it is painful for us to see her this upset!!
[notify]
Duncan

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 10:14pm PST 
That's actually very cool that this dog's "father" is a neurologist! At least she's probably in good hands for getting the best possible help.

Let us know how it goes with your client! I would definitely be curious and I hope the best for her!!! She's lucky to have someone like you to help care for her throughout!! dog walk
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Jun 21, '13 4:32am PST 
Anyone have any experience with Nutria and fish oil for CCD?? The owners vet wants to try that first before the Anipryl.
[notify]
Oh-Dee

Barked: Fri Jun 21, '13 1:27pm PST 
My post to Duncan the other day doesn't seem to be here. Thanks for the kind words. Just curious to know how long Duncan continued on Segeliline before Duncan became an Angel? Oh-Dee is already starting to "remember" how to play Fetch and he is prancing around the yard playfully running with the other dogs instead of wandering around aimlessly.
[notify]
Oh-Dee

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 8:31am PST 
As of yesterday Oh-Dee has been on Segeliline for 8 days. When I came home from work yesterday I actually played fetch with himm for half an hour. It might have been longer if I didn't have to do laundry. This is a huge improvement! He was arunning around and wagging his tail and fussed with me not to give up the ball! It got me all choked up.

He's not back a 100%, but I'll take this in a heart beat!

We'll see how long he plays fetch afterwork this evening.
[notify]
Oh-Dee

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 10:09am PST 
Played fetch with Oh-Dee off and on over the course of the evening. He's waging his tail and running around the yard and in the house with his favorite toy....a tennis ball in his mouth! He's giving "kisses" too!

Like I said, he's not 100% back to normal, but he is so much improved on this medication. "Selegiline"

I'd say try it out for a month if your dog has doggie dimentia....it is $51 a month with a prescription discount and worth every single penny!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3