GO!

not pure breds but..

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Riley

woof!

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '07 10:22am PST 
hi, i am amazed to be first at something!
i hope someone joins me here smile
i had hassles deciding what to list under, and wonder how many other crossbred deerie owners are out there? i believe they are also called long dogs! in usa and they are used ,same as here in aust for hunting aka ROO dogs ,by some and as pets like mine. i bred 13 pups 2 years ago and specifically stated not to hunting homes(..not that i disagree with a dog catching its own dinner...)but kangaroos usually do a lot of damage !. bunnies and feral cats and foxes are still fair game though.
i also noticed from cruising usa deerhound sites you seem to only show the dark grey colour...we have a lot of ginger brindles here and they show often. weird how a colour or type gains such a hold on "favorite flavour" not always to the gain of the breed.
my pups were all so different, about 1/2 were very deerie and the rest followed wolfhound ancestors. they all are good sized well formed and gentle and whilst not being a purist idea of perfect..hey they are all beautiful regardless.
ok i have started, someone join in! cheers Laurel..owned by 5 bitch,n,pack!smile
whaddya reckon about a spot we can actually list "not standard "breeds under rather than mongrel /mutt headings????
[notify]
Brianag

Gaelic Hunter

Barked: Thu Mar 22, '07 11:14pm PST 
Hi Laurel
Well what can I say, my Guys are purecry Only joshing (about the crying bit) . Deerhounds are wonderful and like you I don't advocate hunting in Australian bush. Too many obstacles and too many dogs get staked or broken limbs.
I have to admit that Xena has caught quite a few but has been lucky and only scored scratches.
Samantha
[notify]
Santa

Sleepy Santa

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '07 8:10am PST 
Hello, our Santa is a purebred too but we don't intend to breed or hunt her, she's just a pet. In fact we don't advocate any hunting at all, period.

As far as chasing cats goes, she just wants to play with them but the neighbours cats don't really seem up for it!
[notify]

Reggie

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '07 11:35pm PST 
Hi... Reg is a deerhound kelpie cross, or so they said... came from the bush on the south coast of nsw, and i imagine would have been put to use with the kangaroos.... until of course, she chose me to live with.... she has the ginger undercoat, and lots of tiger stripes..and is the friendliest best-est ever!... when i move back down the coast (currently living in sydney) i intend to find her a deerie friend to frollick on the beaches with....applause
[notify]
Finlay

You can never- have too many- girlfriends.

Barked: Wed Jul 4, '07 12:36pm PST 
I'm an American Staghound- (Greyhound/Scottish Deerhound). We have no kangaroos in Minnesota, but if we did, I'm sure I'd chase them! Right now we're having issues with the dog park because my hunting instinct is so strong, I tend to want to "bring down" other dogs. We'll figure it out though. Currently I have to wear a muzzle at the park.
[notify]