GO!

Recurrent Diarrhea

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Sebastian

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 6:52am PST 
I have a 5 month old St. Bernard who absolutely loves to eat. However, it seems like he has started to have diarrhea almost once or twice per week. I have changed him recently to Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food thinking that maybe the Purina one large breed puppy food was the cause of all the diarrhea. However, we woke again this morning to watery, explosive diarrhea for the second time this week. What should I do? Do St. Bernards require a special diet? Do you have to use grain free foods? Please help.
[notify]
Augustus

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 9:28am PST 
No fun! Augie went through a phase with this, and my vet reccomended adding fiber to his diet. We sprinkled his food with Metamucil for a few weeks, and things solidified...

I recently changed his food from AvoDerm to something else that out pet store reccomended... its a single protein sorce (lamb) but comes in a 40lb bag which is useful... Can check the brand tonight.
[notify]
Gatsby

Better than the- whole bunch put- together

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 5:28pm PST 
First off, he's super cute! Is it possible that he's eating too fast? Sometimes if they eat too fast they get sick, so you could try and slow him down a bit. Our vet recommended a couple of things: 1. spreading food out on a cookie sheet, so he has to sort of hunt for it. 2. Buying a steel ball to put in his food dish. 3. Buying this:

http://www.amazon.com/Kong-Wobbler-Treat-Dispensing-Large/dp/B003A LMW0M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365553440&sr=8-1&keywords=kong+food+di spenser, which he will hit with his paw and send food flying.

Also, after he eats he should get at least 30 minutes but preferably more like an hour, where he doesn't exercise heavily. No, playing, no running, no long walks. His food needs to settle before he exercises.

You might want to call the vet and ask if they have any recommendations.

Good luck with him!
[notify]

Sebastian

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 2:37pm PST 
Thanks guys!! I really appreciate the help. I will try some of these recommendations. And thanks for the compliments. Have a great week!!
[notify]