GO!

Ramps

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Gatsby

Better than the- whole bunch put- together

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 11:22am PST 
My husband and I are searching for a new car, something in the crossover range, as Gatsby as nearly grown out of our current vehicle. We have a vehicle chosen, but with a bigger vehicle, we've run into a problem of getting our 150lb dog into it.

We've checked a website called Weathertech, which has a ramp, but we were curious about other options. The vet did say that he should have a ramp, rather than a step. Any advice would be great!
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 2:11pm PST 
I have a ramp quite similar to the one on the website you listed and I couldn't get Moose to use it.
Where it folds in the middle, allows it to bow and bend as the dog is walking up/down and Moose didn't like that. Maybe it wouldn't bother your dog.
My ramp is made from heavy duty plastic and is heavy so I was suprised by the bouncing up and down.
Also, from the back of my SUV it was a steep drop and no way was he going to go down it, so I used it via the back passenger door but it was still a no go. Plus, if you park next to a car, you can't use it on the side.

There are better made ones out there I'm sure.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 10:14am PST 
This post is a little late but for those who just joined and are looking thru for any type of answers I hope this helps.. I used to cart my 2 st. bernards around in a dodge neon.. yes that's true. It finally got to be a hassle to take 2 cars to the park. My husband and I'm sure the car dealership thought I was crazy but I took the larger of my two pups with us to shop for a new SUV. I figured I was upgrading specifically for my dogs so I was going to be dang sure they fit in it. The sales guy asked what I was looking for and I introduced him to Brodi, my 160 pound fluff ball. I told him I needed something that would fit 2 of him as his sister is only an inch shortert and 10 pounds lighter.. We knew we would need a ramp - the one we purchased has worked out great, it was 120 dallors from petsmart. You just need to be sure it holds above your dogs weight. it telescopes out so there is no weak spot in the middle. Our dogs were skiddish at first to go up it but we started out laying it on the ground and making them walk on it that way first to get used to the feel. Then we used treats teach them to go up it. (peanut butter on a long plastic spoon worked best) now they have no issues going up or down it.
[notify]

Sarge

Give me a hug or- else!

Barked: Mon Sep 16, '13 9:22am PST 
My floorboard runners are low enough to the ground that big-boy just climbs into the back seat. I never thought of ramps before. Sounds like a great idea but I have a 2-door so not sure where I'd attach the ramp.

Plenty of head room, mines a convertible. He loves the wind whipping around his head. Car trips are fun!!!
[notify]
Gatsby

Better than the- whole bunch put- together

Barked: Sun Sep 22, '13 4:08pm PST 
We haven't gotten a new vehicle yet, so this information is super helpful. Not to mention that we will need to get some ramps for him to navigate around after his surgery, maybe those will work for that as well. THANKS!!
[notify]
Bernice

Barked: Tue Dec 17, '13 7:34pm PST 
Bernice cannot fit in our family car but fits well in the back of our H2 hummer. The only problem is we have to pick her up and put her in the back. I need more ramp suggestions.
[notify]