GO!

Allergies?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 12:44pm PST 
I'm thinking about getting a saint bernard. My friend has one and I just love him however I've only been around him for short periods of time. I like bigger dogs and am used to them. However, I am allergic to excessive pet dander and such but NOT dog saliva.
So my question is, how are saint bernards with allergies? Do they shed alot? Am I going to be stuffy and congested all the time? Is short hair any better? Help!! Thank you!
[notify]
Gatsby

Better than the- whole bunch put- together

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 5:52am PST 
We have a Saint, and I'm severely allergic to the dander. I take an allergy medicine that really helps, but if you don't take anything, you will be stuffy and congested. Also, our Saint thinks he's part lap dog, so he's on our laps quite often. They do shed quite a bit, at least ours does, but he doesn't drool, he's a dry mouth.
[notify]
Tucker

Barked: Sun Sep 15, '13 8:05am PST 
Which medicine have you found helpful?
[notify]

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Mon Sep 16, '13 9:11am PST 
There is no such thing as a "dry mouth" Saint.
"Technically, there is no such thing as a "dry mouth Saint", but most Saints do not drool to an offensive degree. -- Saint Bernard Club of America.
[notify]