GO!

My Saint is a pawer

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 7:37pm PST 
I have a 9 month old Saint that uses his paws
more than any dog I've ever owned. He does
it mainly to get attention. Sometimes it's cute,
but be woken up to huge paw scratching at me is
not so cute. Is it a Saint thing ?
[notify]

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 8:08am PST 
Awww....

My SB likes to paw too but he is too big to really do it except when he is lying on his side or back. Then his paws are always up in the air, reaching and flailing.
[notify]
Bernice

Barked: Tue Dec 24, '13 10:29pm PST 
A little late for this post. I think pawing is a Saint thing. I cannot believe how much my saint paws either. She does it to get attention or like you said when she is laying on her back or side playing. It wouldnt be so bad if the paws weren't the size they are and felt like sandpaper!
[notify]

Sarge

Give me a hug or- else!

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 9:12am PST 
ok that is just stinking CUTE!

My wife and I took Sarge for training. They did the "Shake" (like shake hands) command for fun but wasn't part of the real curriculum for testing. They told us we can opt out of the "Shake" part because we wouldn't want Sarge's huge catchers mitts swiping us. He didn't do it naturally. From the few responses here, I'm guessing Sarge is in the minority there?

We eventually taught him "Bones" like 'shake' or fist bumping/pound it. He mostly gets it. He gets praise if he swipes after I stick my hand out and say "Bones".

I have to correct him if he gives me "Bones" when I don't ask for it. I test him by sticking my hand out and saying nothing, or saying other words like "Car", "Refridgerator", or something.

You might want to try something similar with your dog. MAYBE it will work. Eventually, he'll come to understand that he shouldn't swipe unless you ask him to.

I'm working on a similar problem with Sarge. He gives paw/shakes/bones fine, but he swipes the back screen door when he want's to be let in. I have to camp the back door and open the door and correct him right away when he does it. I'm not making any progress on this. It can be frustrating.
[notify]