GO!

Thinking of getting a Saint Bernard!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 1:55pm PST 
I'm thinking of adopting a St. Bernard and I've seen a lot of short haired ones available. i currently have a great pyr/bernese moutain dog mix so I'm not concered about size or shedding. My biggest worry is if a short hair St. Bernard will do okay in the snow? I live in Maine and my boy LOVES the snow, I can barely get him inside in the winter and he loves to play. I'm worried if I get a short hair they wont be willing to stay out and play with him in the winter. Anyone own a short hair in a cold climate?
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 9:47pm PST 
Saint Bernards were originally smooth coat. These smooth coat Saints were bred with Newfies around 1830 in hopes that the longer/thicker fur would keep them warmer when doing their work in the Alps, but it backfired. The snow and ice stuck to the long fur so the Monks stopped with that breeding and went back to breeding smooth coat Saints, so yes, a smooth coat Saint can handle snow fine.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 10:50pm PST 
We have two Saints, one smooth-coat, one rough. The smooth coat is much thicker and denser than the rough, almost like felt. He's been to the snow several times, and always acts like he's perfectly happy, maybe even TOO warm!
[notify]

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 1:48pm PST 
Though they are comfortable in the snow, this DOES NOT mean they are "outdoor dogs". Ours are houseplants that love to play outside, then come back indoors.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 12:43am PST 
Responding from the frigid climates of northern Alberta Canada. We have 2 saints, one smooth coat and one rough coat. They both love the outdoors and do very well in the snow. Actually, from our experience, they refuse to come completely into the house in the winter months because their body has climatized to the temperatures outdoors, sometimes -40 degrees Celsius. They come in the house and pant like crazy, so we put them in our porch where it is cooler and they are much more comfortable. They do equally well and I will say you do not have to worry. That being said, our smooth coat sheds constantly while our rough coat only sheds during season changes.
[notify]