GO!

Rottweilers and other dogs

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Bella

the princess

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 1:15pm PST 
Right now, I have an American bulldog puppy who is almost 7 months old. My husband and I have been considering adding a second dog to our family in the future and he would love to get a Rottweiler. How are Rottweilers living with other dogs? All of the people I know personally who have, or have had, Rottweilers only had one dog in the family. My dog, Bella, is very playful and energetic and would love a companion. I have heard that Rottweilers are wonderful dogs (and beautiful too) so I am very interested in learning more about the breed.

Thanks! smile
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 3:59pm PST 
Rottweilers can be EXCELLENT with other dogs! I would fully recommend going with an opposing gender to your current pup just to prevent any possibility of same sex aggression. Rottweilers ARE more about their humans, but LOVE to have other companions to play with too. They're slower to mature, and do have a tendency to play a little more rough.

To give you an idea of how great they can do with other dogs.. I lived in a home that had five dogs. Three Rottweilers, a Bull Mastiff, and a Beagle. The Rottweilers LOVED to play with my Beagle, and with one another. smile

I would, however, recommend waiting until your current dog is about two years old, as that is typically when they physically mature and can give you the best idea of how your dog will do with other dogs as an adult. It's also better to have one dog well on the way with training and socialization to help out when you bring in the next pup. smile
[notify]