GO!

Purebred...or not?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Alice

Alice...in- Wonderland?

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 8:31am PST 
I had posted this also in the "Puppy Place" and got answers saying Alice, my so-called 2mnth old Rottweiler, was a mix of German Shepherd..
I just am posting this in the "Rottweiler" forums, because you all are the experts in owning Rotts & Rottie mixes, and so I would like to get your thoughts on Alice.
I'm very upset because I spent $400 dollars for her on being a purebred Rottweiler, and when I bought her at 8wks, she looks purebred...but now....her ears are starting to become floppy & she's just not looking like what a Rottie should look like.
I must note that this is my first-time in owning a Rottweiler, and so I'm not sure if they go through some weird stages or something....
And what's this I've heard of taping ears....is the process painful for the dog?
Thanks! frown
[notify]
Harley &- Rubi

me, me, me it's- all about me!!

Barked: Wed Jun 8, '11 9:17pm PST 
I am unable to tell you if she is a rotty, but I did get a beautiful dog that I thought was a rott from the pound 10 years ago and she ended up being a shepard/doberman mix. I think your puppy is absolutely beautiful. If she is anything like our Hailey (may she rest in peace) she will be a great loving dog.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Jun 8, '11 10:43pm PST 
This section doesn't look like it gets much traffic. I will mention that taping the ears is used to get them to stand. Taping can be done after a crop (like for a Doberman) or with a breed whose ears you want to stand but they aren't doing so on their own (like a German Shepherd). Taping isn't painful for the dog as it's just tape holding their ears up. Unless you want her ears to stand, there's no reason to tape them.

As far as I'm aware, Rotty ears never start to perk up the way Alice's are. If she is Rott/GSD, her ears will probably be somewhere in between completely up and completely down. The shape of her face also looks wrong for a Rottweiler.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way that some people are very dishonest when selling dogs. Next time I'd look for a breeder who has AKC registered dogs (don't fall for dogs registered with a registry like the Continental Kennel Club, CKC), does health testing, and preferably shows or works their dogs. That's the best way to know you're getting what you're paying for.

I think Alice is absolutely adorable and even though she's not purebred, she'll make a great dog. Enjoy her!
[notify]

Missy

Barked: Tue Sep 20, '11 7:21pm PST 
Only for Dobermann's do you tape the ears for cropping. You have a very beautiful dog but she is a mix. Some people just lack honesty. I would also say GSD
[notify]
Ruby

Like a precious- stone

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 2:35pm PST 
Very sad to tell you, you're beautiful baby isn't a rottie purebred. Looks like a german shepherd mix! I hope you signed a contract, so you can return the dog and get your money back, or if you're not into that, report her to the authorities! You're probably not the first person that she has fooled. Also, even the puppy pictures don't look like a pure bred frown

But she IS beautiful!
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 5:52am PST 
If you have none of these titles on your pedigree it's not a purebreed Rottweiler so have a look at a real pedigree from the germans....(Int.Ch. ES'82 BS'80'81 KS'80 Dingo vom Schwaiger Wappen SchH III FH Gekort bis EzA HD-) at pawvillage.com

Schutzhund & German Titles
Pre-Titles (titles appearing before a dog's name)

BSB undesieger, Working Dog Champion (with applicable year)
BJS Junior Working Dog Champion (with applicable year)
ES Europa Sieger, European Champion (with applicable year)
EJS Junior European Champion (with applicable year)
HS Hutesieger, Herding Dog Champion (with applicable year)
Jgd Jungend, Junior
KS Klubsieger, Club Champion (with applicable year)
KJS Junior Club Champion (with applicable year)
LS Leistungssieger, Working Dog Champion (with applicable year)
LJS Junior Working Dog Champion (with applicable year)
SG or SGRSieger, Grand Victor Title at German Sieger Show
SGN or SGRN Siegerin,Grand Victrix Title at German Sieger Show
WS Weltsieger, World Champion (with applicable year)
WJS Junior World Champion (with applicable year)
ZS Zonensieger, Regional Champion (with applicable year
)
Post-Titles (titles appearing after a dog's name)
ABST Breed Suitability Tested
AD Endurance (12.5 mile run)
B or BH Basic Companion Dog (equivalent to CD + CGC)
BST Breed Suitability Tested
DH Service Dog
FHI Advanced Tracking Qualification
FHII Superior Tracking Qualification
Gekort bis EzA
or Gek bis EzA Suitable for Breeding
GRH Border Patrol Dog
HGH Herding Dog
IPOI International Novice Schutzhund
IPOII International Intermediate Schutzhund
IPOIII International Master Schutzhund
KKL Certified as eligible for breeding under the German breed survey system
Korung Has passed strict requirements in breed suitability, conformation, working, protection, and is hip dysplasia free
KrH War Dog
Lbz Lifetime Breed Surveyed
OBI, OBII, OBIII Obedience only at SchHI, SchHII, SchHIII level
PDH Working Police Dog
PSP Police Protection Dog
SchH Schutzhund
SchHA Schutzhund without Tracking portion
SchHI Schutzhund Qualification Novice
SchHII Schutzhund Qualification Intermediate
SchHIII Schutzhund Qualification Masters level
TRI, TRII, TRIII Tracking only at SchHI, SchHII, SchHIII level
VPGI Novice Schutzhund