GO!

Rotweiler Advice!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Cowrie

Contemplation on- the Run

Barked: Fri May 22, '09 10:13am PST 
I need some advice on Rotwielers in General.
I currently have a wonderful Golden Retriever but my partner is desperate for a Rotweiler.
I know "dangerous" breeds often have an undeservedly bad reputation but I dont want to buy a dog without checking with people who actually own one.
I'm especially worried about three things
Firstly - do they get on ok with other pets? Like my Retriever?
Secondly - Are they really as bad with children as people say?
Thirdly - Do they become possessive of just one person or can they be family dogs?

Any and all advice will be very much appreaciated!

Thank you!
[notify]
Angel Bubba- D.

Now known as- BUBBA D. //- Training is the

Barked: Thu May 28, '09 4:59am PST 
A Rottweiler is the only breed I will always have! I may share space with other breeds from time to time, but there will ALWAYS be a Rottie by my side! That said, the breed is not for everyone!!! They are extremely smart and it is a daily struggle to stay even a half a step ahead of them. They are lovely family dogs, though will not tolerate abuse of ANY kind. Anything you think is cute as a puppy better be okay when he's 130+ pounds!! Early socialization and training is a MUST! Rotties are bullheaded, but very sensitive at the core. If I raise my voice in the same room as Bubba, he thinks he's done something wrong, or, thinks there is a huge problem and goes into "protective mode". Rotties are best living indoors as members of the family. READ, READ, READ. "Rottweilers for Dummies" is very helpful for people who think they want one. Talk to owners, breeders, handlers, trainers. Further help needed? P-mail Bubba D.
[notify]
Xena

Xena - warrior- princess!

Barked: Fri May 29, '09 1:19pm PST 
I love Rotties they are the best. They just unfortunatly are victims of stereotyping cause be iresponsible owners who did not train or socialize them. Ok for your first ?They do wonderful with other pets. I have a Rottie and a Chi. They live together wonderfully. She is very concious of their size difference when they play she is very soft with her. If anything the Chi is to rough on her (she bites her stubb and makes her cry sometimes) but no matter how annoying the Chi can be to her she has never anything bad to her. Then you second? They love kids my sisters come over all the time to play and she is very attached to them.And for your third ? They protect anyone one of their family they are not one person possessive. They are wonderful family dogs. I'm even in the process of getting another Rottie.
[notify]

Samantha

The Boss of- Everything

Barked: Mon Jun 1, '09 12:28pm PST 
Rotts are wonderful dogs and are great additions to any family if you have the time and energy to put into them. This is not a breed you can bring home and then leave to their own devices or lock up in a backyard. They are large, powerful and sometimes dominant and/or stubborn but if you go about it the right way, you will have a loving and devoted friend for life. Rotties love their people and want to be with them. Training and socialization are, in my opinion, the keys to having a Rott in your home. Keep in mind that people will always want to blame the Rott if anything happens so having your dog under control is a must. I bring mine everywhere with me, not just so she can socialize and practice her obedience and manners but so people can see that she is not the monster a lot of people would have everyone believe.

My Rott girl is 5 years old and has, from the time of 7 months (when we rescued her) been exposed to other dogs, obedience classes, agility classes, people, all different kinds of environments, etc. She loves everyone and plays in her day care group with any size/breed of dog that will play with her! laugh out loud This is my third rescued Rott and would always be my first choice in picking a dog.
[notify]
Luna Girl

Play Damnit! - Where's Benny???

Barked: Thu Sep 17, '09 9:00pm PST 
If you want a rottie that is more pliable and will better fit into social situations such as multidog house, multipul kids etc then go with a girl. They don't challenge as much and are more tolerent of the every say BS. From what I've read aboutrotts is that they will bond with the ENTIRE family not just 1 person. They are originally a herding breed and are meant to work close with people. If you put the work in for the first 4 months (Assuming you get a pup not an adult) then you should have a nice well rounded dog. Socialize socialize socialize... expose the pup to EVERYTHING that way it can make educated decisions about life, threats, friends and foes insted of reacting our of fear or anxiety.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Fri Oct 2, '09 10:25am PST 
Actually, Rottweilers have a history of being extraordinarily GOOD with children.
[notify]
Hunter

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 8:21am PST 
I am new to this site. I have been a rottweiler owner for over 15 years. I am on my 4th rottie. I lost two to bone cancer at a young age of 7 (both of them). Although they have some obvious health issues, I am hooked on the breed. They are one of the most intelligent and loving animals I have encountered.

The original post talked about dangerous breeds. I wish the media would talk about how gentle, intelligent and loving they are with children, adults and other animals alike. As always, it's not the dog, it's the owner.

Granted, different training works on different dogs, but training is key. Looking forward to participating in the forums.cheer
[notify]
Jordan

Barked: Fri Nov 13, '09 5:11pm PST 
I've got a Rottie myself and she is an awesome dog. Their behavior is all in how they are trained...that is with any breed. Mine is great with other dogs and with kids. I will always have a Rott in my household also. Rotts are an awesome dog...very loyal to their family.
[notify]
Regan

BSL: Educate,- don't- discriminate.

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 9:19pm PST 
Firstly - do they get on ok with other pets? Like my Retriever?
YES YES YES. Rottweilers love the stimulation of being in a pack or with other dogs and are great when they're properly socialized.

Secondly - Are they really as bad with children as people say?
Absolutely not! Any with a dog that is bad with children either had a bad experience with them as the result of people themselves or was never properly socialized. We own three Rottweilers, all of which are very protective of any children. In fact, we have a new born baby in the house for a prime example and while they're very curious and will nudge her with their nose like they would with their own pups, they're also protective of her and will and have stepped between the baby and anything they've seen as a threat to her.

Thirdly - Do they become possessive of just one person or can they be family dogs?
They're amazing family dogs. Becoming possessive of one person is often when they aren't properly trained or when they're attempting to be alpha because again, they haven't been properly trained.

As I said, we own three Rottweilers. Two seven year old females that we've had since the day they were born and a ten month old male that we got at eight weeks old. Every one of them is great with our family and not in the slightest dangerous unless someone breaks into our home or goes after one of us. If a fight breaks out, they WILL protect. If someone comes after you or any children they know, they WILL protect. But often, they're more affectionate and friendly than anything. They're chosen so often as police dogs because they're smart, easy to train and protective.

I can walk any one of my dogs down a street at midnight and they'll look down alleys and everything before I even reach the alley to make sure nobody is there. But if I invite someone to say hello to me or come into my home, they're very affectionate and often will paw the person for some pats.

I also have to disagree with Luna Girl. We've owned plenty of males and they haven't been challenging of us, so long as we've known to use positive reinforcement in the way of pets, attention, love and not harming them as a way of discipline. And they aren't necessarily for everyone. They do need a lot of brain stimulation, because they're very smart dogs. They need exercise like labs do, sometimes even needing a job to do and a lot of the time, if their needs aren't met, they will challenge you by doing things they aren't supposed to.

But it all depends on the dog itself. If you go with a shelter dog, expect to have behavioral problems you will need to turn around. Great dogs, because they come from backgrounds where they know they're in a better home now. But often cannot be properly handled if they have any aggression or guarding issues unless the person has experience with the breed. Puppies, however, you can take a pick from the litter to ensure it matches you, your partner and your lifestyle, all while being able to raise it to live peaceably with your lab and trained the way you'd prefer.

Edited by author Wed Jan 6, '10 9:25pm PST

[notify]
C.J.- (C-ATCH,TDI,- CGC,RE,ChSN)

Happy to be a- Rottie with a- tail!

Barked: Sat Jan 30, '10 3:33pm PST 
Hello! Keep in mind when getting a second dog that in some ways, dogs are like people: sometimes they just don't get along irrespective of their breed. Just because you bring home a Rottweiler doesn't mean you'll be any more or less likely to have problems than if you brought home another retriever. I'd certainly advocate for rescuing a dog; be sure to bring your dog to meet the new potential family member to see how things go in a neutral setting before bringing someone new home. Remember, too, that the gender of both dogs can play a role in how well they'll get along.

They are not bad with children, but again every dog is different and has different levels of tolerance. My Rottie is one test away from being a therapy dog and loves kids. Whenever we go to the pet store, he gets "mugged" by swarms of kids who want to pet him and he just sits there and basks in it. If you have kids in your houeshold, best to bring them to meet the new dog, too!

I've found them to be great family dogs. In my experience, they tend to be possessive of the entire family, not just one person.

Any Rottie you bring home absolutely, positively must go through training with you. They are an extremely intelligent, loyal, and powerful breed that thrives on training and learning new things. Even if your new dog knows the "basics" when you bring him home, it's critical to have the bonding and learning experience of taking at LEAST one obedience class together.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Edited by author Sat Jan 30, '10 3:36pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2