GO!

Am I a Rhodesian?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Stanley

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '08 1:25pm PST 
Hi All! - Stanley was adopted by us from the Humane Society and I am trying to figure out what he is. He looks an awful lot like pictures of Rhodesian Ridgebacks I have seen in books and on the web. He is liver nosed with amber eyes, has a white patch on his chest and a little on his front toes. Although he does not have a ridge (which is probably why he ended up at the pound) the fur on the center of his back is rougher than the rest of him and a bit darker. The only thing that is giving me doubts are his legs. I know he is only about 17 weeks old, but they look shorter than they should. Any feed back that you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
[notify]
Rouxridge- Sir Maxwell- Smart

African Dogs- Rock!

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '08 5:59pm PST 
Hi! Well, I'm thinking maybe Ridgeback/basset mix? His head looks like a Ridgie, but you are right about his legs... just a wee bit short. He's cute though!!
[notify]
Leonidas

I'm a valentines- sweety!

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '08 7:55pm PST 
Yes, I agree. He looks like a basset ridgeback cross to me!
[notify]

Rilo

Look at my- ladylike leg- cross

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '08 8:36pm PST 
I think possibly a Ridgeback/Daschund mix. Not sure exactly but cute dog
[notify]
Rilo

Look at my- ladylike leg- cross

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '08 8:36pm PST 
I think possibly a Ridgeback/Daschund mix. Not sure exactly but cute dog
[notify]
Simba

My pony

Barked: Mon Mar 3, '08 7:51pm PST 
Hey'a, just to put my two cents worth....I actually think the head has telltale signs of a Hungarian Vizsla, but probably leaning more to a Daschund. But then it's very hard to tell from just one photo. Maybe you have other head shots you could show us? ie, profile, straight on, from top, etc... From the shot you have, to me there is no resemblance of a RR, netherlone a purebred...sorry. But he looks cute and I'm sure lots of fun. All the best. Me and my pooch.
[notify]
Sophie - (5/1/08 - 1/18/10)

Barked: Tue Sep 23, '08 7:54pm PST 
He sure looks like a Ridgeback Mix to me.
I've also recently adopted a Ridgie and I noticed his coat (very short and smooth), his ears (traingular and half erect) and his toes (long). These three features stand out as those I've seen on other Ridgebacks.

I agree with you that his legs are a bit short so he's probably a mix.

A beautiful boy you have there!
Have a happy life together.

Sophie's Mom
[notify]
Roxie

Barked: Sat Nov 15, '08 7:06pm PST 
Hi Stanley and Owner,

I just posted my dog Roxie. She is a Daschund for sure and I think Rhodesian Ridgeback. She was supposed to be Pitt Bill but I don't think so. She looks a lot like you Stanley. I posted pictures of her. I don't know how you find them since i am new to the site. I was so happy to see you!!! I would like to see you now you are older. Roxie is 2 and she does have the ridge. Check her out.
[notify]
Jerry

Barked: Sun Apr 19, '09 9:19am PST 
Hi, I was adopted from a shelter in TN and shipped to MA. They said I was dropped off and my origins are unknown but thought I was a lab mix. My family and everyone who meets me think I may be a Rhedesian mix. I don't have a prounounced ridge but I do have the black strip down my back and tail. I am very muscular and weigh about 65lbs (but I am still growing). What do you think? I have more pictures on m y page.
[notify]
Stormy

Brown Eyed Girl

Barked: Tue Jun 9, '09 11:23am PST 
Hey Sophie, no offense but those 3 *key* things you mentioned that you say are trademark Ridgeback signs, also are on like a gazillion other dogs too. LABRADORS come to mind first just from their popularity. Short, sleek, sometimes rough or dense hair down their backs.. triangle ears (which could also come from terriers too). Most ridgebacks ears only are erect and 1/2 cocked when they are alert, otherwise they are just hanging there not perked. And long toes? Ridgebacks are actually supposed to have very well padded COMPACT feet to cushion them in the African deserts. So long toes.. ehhhh I wouldnt lend that to be THE thing that stands out as many of the short haired breeds can have "long toes".
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2