GO!

Is there such a thing as a miniature Ridgeback?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Sprout

Play until you- drop!

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '07 12:00pm PST 
My mom and dad just thought that I was pug and chihuahua or soemthing like that, but we were at the dog walk area today and a guy came up and said - "Oh, is that a Ridgeback?" Mom and Dad were like "what?" but the man noticed that when I got scared or nervous, my ridge showed up - especially lower on my back. Mom always thought that just happened when the leash accidentally rubbed my fur the wrong way or got tosselled while playing. So - ok, I'm part ridgeback, but I'm only 12 lbs! What could I be mixed with or what coudl I be? I'm estimated to be close to one year old and my paws don't indicate I have more room to grow or anything!
[notify]
Max

Counter Surfing- Champion

Barked: Thu Sep 20, '07 5:09pm PST 
Hi Sprout,
All dogs have an area on their rear and neck where their hair will stand up (raised hackles) when they are alarmed, it is a usually a warning.

A ridgeback's ridge is a permanent part of their body. The ridge is hair that actually grows in the opposite direction of the rest of their hair. Even ridgebacks' hackles get raised when they are alarmed. The following website is a great website that shows what a ridgeback's ridge is and different types of ridges, as well as a ridgeback with raised hackles. http://www.tabblo.com/studio/stories/view/255035/?nextnav=tag&tag=ri dge

But you are one cutie no matter if you are a ridgeback or not!!!!

Elaine
[notify]
Jahkal

Chain Link- fences are- invisible.

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '07 6:33pm PST 
I couldn't have said it better than Max. Ridges don't "come out" when a dog is stimulated they are always constantly there. You saw Sprout's hackles. That guy should probably study up. laugh out loud Definitely go to that website. Very imformative. In any case I'm going to say it is very unlikely for you to have any ridgeback in you, I jsut don't see it, but you are still very cute.

wave
[notify]

"Rusty the- Terrible"

Terrible, that's- about it.

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '07 12:54am PST 
I HATE chewies but, that is one cool lookin mini ridgeback if there is such a thing..... if it doesn't YAP... save the DNA....

rtt
[notify]
Sable

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '07 9:39am PST 
I would say your a pug and chihuahua, but it it possible to have RR somewhere down the line. RR's are a mixed breed anyway so you never know bless.wishes
[notify]
Thatch

I Never Give Up

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '07 1:55pm PST 
You're cute regardless of any ridgeback in there........I'm a ridgeback mixed with lab/akita......depends which part of me you're looking at..if it's my tail, you'll see akita, my back...ridgeback....my face...most say lab........I'm a little nutty, but I'm still ok.
[notify]
Elsie

Do what I want- when I want....

Barked: Tue Aug 26, '08 2:58pm PST 
I saw a unique ridgeback this past weekend at the beach. He was a blue Thai Ridgeback. He was about half the size of a Rhodesian. I looked it up and it was a real breed. I didnt know any ridgeback came in blue...pretty cool. They also come in the red, silver black etc...but it did say they can be aggressive and not good with children Also very shy. Glad I went with the Rhodesian..no offense. So I guess that could be considered as a miniature?
[notify]
Obbie R.I.P- (2009-2013)

Barked: Sun Mar 4, '12 8:21am PST 
Hi Sprout, I know this post is old but I've just joined this site. There is a possibility of your pup having Rhodesian Ridgeback. I have two 2 year old dogs that are part Ridgeback, and you would never know it! They are 15 lbs each, their father was a Toy Fox Terrier, and their mother is a Rhodesian Ridgeback. (I know, very strange)Their mother had them very young, I believe she was 6 months old when she got pregnant (accident)so she was smaller back then. My Obbie looks sort of like a mini ridge back, she has a dark stripe (but the hair is not going the opposite way) down her back. Her sister Bailey looks like a Jack Russel. So yes, it is possible that small dogs can be mixed with a large dog such as a Rhodesian Ridgeback, but I think it is very rare. I have not met anyone else who has this mix breed..(except for someone I met in my town, but it turns out they had their littermates)
[notify]