GO!

New Heeler Owner-advice needed

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Sat Nov 5, '11 1:34pm PST 
Hi there,
I am getting a Red Heeler puppy in about 4 weeks. I keep seeing people say "Give them a job" (or a task) but I'm not exactly sure what this means. What type of job? How do you give a dog a job? I've had boxers, labs, and jack russels... so this breed is new to me and I want to make sure I train him correctly so he doesn't become destructive.

"Red Heelers need activities, tasks and lots of room to run; therefore, they are probably not suited for apartment living. Without open spaces and jobs to do, they can get into mischief and destructiveness.

A healthy Red Heeler can live as long as 15 years. Common health issues may include eye problems, hip dysplasia and deafness. Unless you live on a ranch, plan on keeping your Red Heeler on a leash. They are very curious and love to run and roam. "
[notify]
Ares

Barked: Mon Nov 7, '11 12:41pm PST 
Got the puppy a little early along with his sister for my friend. Girl seems very intelligent and has already picked up on using the dog door. (Pups are 5-6 weeks old). Male hasn't QUITE got it and isn't AS playful as the female.
[notify]
kai

why are they not- all bowing?

Barked: Sun Nov 27, '11 4:48pm PST 
Hi! I don't know if you are still checking in on this post but welcome to the new pups! I hope they are not both in the same house that is a lot of puppyness to keep up with! What people mean by 'job' is something that the dog does to expend some of that energy, for some it is being a running partner, for some a biking partner(but neither of those till they are about a year old and their joints are ready for pavement pounding). For my BC/ACD mix she is a fetcher, catcher machine. We do a lot of house fetch as well as at least an hour but most often 2 hours a day of fetching and frisbee. For some dogs it is agility. training, hiking with a backpack, learning how to herd, etc etc. Without that expenditure of energy mine would be a house demolisher. I have a ACD/Catahoula/Aussie that I am going to try nosework training with because she is not interested in fetching, she is only interested in manhandling the other dogs to the ground when she is bored. Your pup is adorable! 5 weeks is really early so a lot of playdates with the littermate if they are not in the same house is really gonna be helpful to learn bite inhabition.

Edited by author Sun Nov 27, '11 4:52pm PST

[notify]