GO!

Beef Heart

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Zoey

Zoom Zoom Zoom

Barked: Sat Jan 25, '14 7:36pm PST 
Okay so I feed Zoey Prey Model Raw, however even after almost 4 years of raw, she still REFUSES organs unless I blend them into her meat mixtures. I make her up cubes that have the meat and the organs. I have a ton of beef heart and would like to incoorporate it into her regular feedings, how much can I add without it causing problems? Keep in mind she only eats about 1 & 1/2oz per day. Is it something that in small amounts can be fed on a daily basis?
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sun Jan 26, '14 7:09am PST 
I prefer to feed larger portions of beef heart less often. I consider heart a sort of "other" like lung or tripe... It's not really muscle meat, but it's not really an organ. I feed such items roughly 15% of my overall diet.

The reasoning behind feeding heart in larger, spaced out meals is it's high in copper. Which is great - copper is necessary - but copper can block zinc absorption. Considering my breed is genetically prone to poor zinc absorption, I'd rather they have days of just zinc-rich beef muscle meat, no copper-rich heart (or liver, for that matter).
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Jan 26, '14 9:50am PST 
Wow, it does have a lot of copper for muscle meat! I just am not crazy about the poor zinc to iron ratio. If she likes heart then using it in the organ grind is a great idea for part of the meat anyway. I agree, keeping it down to 15% of the total diet is a good idea. Iron is good and all but that ratio of 10hi5:1, zinc:iron:copper is important. Heart is more like 5:12:1.
Per ounce
Iron 1.2mg7%
Zinc 0.5mg3%
Copper 0.1mg
[notify]

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Jan 26, '14 11:22am PST 
maxwell, can you please pmail me? smile
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.