GO!

long lasting & safe chews?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Terry

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 9:12am PST 
Apart from raw bones what can i give as entretainment for crate time?.

In my list so far i have: kongs. Elk antlers and any product from busy buddies,or Buster cubes.

I want stuff that last but are also safe.
My dogs are not power chewers but i do want enticing things to entertain them.

One is a 4lb chihuahua and a yorkie,10 lb. The chi is very small and two years old,the York is only 11 months old.
[notify]
Obi

Sassy Britches!

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 9:48am PST 
I would go with bully sticks (braided ones last longer with us), ears, noses, tracheas..(he likes treats in his with pb sealing up each end).

I would really double think the busy bones with all the icky stuff they put in them (colors, BHT, BHA, ETC)
[notify]
Obi

Sassy Britches!

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 9:52am PST 
Oops I read it wrong! Disregard what I said about busy bones.

Oh! What about Himalayan chews?dog walk
[notify]

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 11:13am PST 
Second bully sticks. I know some small dogs balk at them at first, but if your guys are used to elk antlers they should be ok. If not, you can soften an end in warm water, so it isn't as daunting to dig in.

Beef cheek rolls are the new big thing.
http://www.nutra-9.com/Bones-Chews-and-Bullysticks/Bully-Sticks-an d-buffalo-Beef-Chews/6-Vanilla-cheeky-Rolls.html

We can't keep them in stock. Neither can anyone else - Next shipment is due sometime early next year.

Then you've got trachea and ears and all that jazz... Since your dogs are small, they may last a while. Larger dogs will crunch them up pretty quickly.
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 12:00pm PST 
I am looking for things i can get off line and at stores,bully sticks are one of the things i can get at stores.

What about nylabones durachews?.

From what i have heard it is certainly a very bad option for kibbke fed dogs and a no no to raw fed ones.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 1:05pm PST 
Trachea are available in most stores. I find independent retailers almost always have superior chews for little if any more cost than the big-box stores like Petco. As are beef cheeks, although you will only find them at independent retailers.

I would skip Nylabones. No bearing on diet, although I can see how a dog used to crunching up and consuming bones may be more apt to crunch up and consume a chew in an unsafe way... I just don't like the ingredients of the edible variety, and the nylon bones aren't very popular with most dogs. I mean, it's a hunk of nylon. Who wants to gnaw on that? Occasionally I get a dog who's really in to plastic that likes them, but they're the exception, not the rule.

Edited by author Mon Dec 30, '13 1:08pm PST

[notify]
Terry

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 3:23pm PST 
I will be visiting NY and Newark next month,we will be staying in Wayne.

How do i find retailers stores in those areas? In new york it will be only things close to time square so i will not really search a lot.

Everything i plan to get will be durable so that i can get a replacement yearly when i travel.
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 3:28pm PST 
Btw. I was thinking of once they get the filling out of bones like these*the ones i sometimes feed for entretainment*
I could just re-fill them with anything i want and keep it frozen when not in use. Would this be ok?. My dogs don't chew on them when they know they cannot eat them and just take out the marrow. So i think it would be ok.

http://www.dadyma.com/archivos/204dee06d9d97fb.jpg
http://ca rnesgonzalezshop.com/156-large_default/ternera-roja-hueso-blanco.jpg
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 6:26pm PST 
Those bones are very hard on teeth and the sharp edges could be hard on gums, I am not a fan but yes you can refill them over and over again. You wrote that your dogs are fine with them, just writing that for other readers. Thin cut ones get around lower jaws which cannot be a good thing at all.

I like using a wide variety of kong type stuffy chews. They last nearly forever and are easy on teeth. I have read of a diabolic way of using those holy roller balls, find a really large biscuit and insert, hard for dogs to figure out how to smash the ball to get to the biscuit. I have done that with kongs too. The dogs figure it out but they sure have fun learning how to do so.
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 10:26pm PST 
Treats will be purchased online because i am not counting on finding any natural ones xD. While i make my own out of fridge dried meats.

These are the brands i can find here:

Loving Pets.
Taste Of The Wild.
Smokehouse.
Dogswell vitallity.
Natural Balance. *LIT treats*
Red Barn.
Natural Balance-Healthy bones.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2