GO!

Raw & Kibble

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Coda

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 7:50pm PST 
So, I've had my current puppy (< that's him, my "little" Coda-Bear!) for almost two months now (!) and I've been thinking about switching him to a raw diet...but I'm concerned about the cost, since we're on a tight budget right now.

I've read that some say not to feed raw and kibble, because they "digest them at different rates." But then there are many who DO feed raw and (high quality) kibble together, but feed them at different meals. I would kindof like to do that, to help with the cost.

So here's my question: What is it, exactly, about a different rate of digestion that makes it so bad? Scientifically. I mean, when you think about it, MOST of what *we* eat is probably digested at different rates, and our digestive tracts are not as efficient as a dog's. It takes them less time overall to digest ANYTHING, so I would think that the *difference* between one food's digestion rate and the other's would have to be pretty small...and we see few ill-effects from eating things with various rates of digestion.

Anyway, that's just my thought, and my genuine curiosity. I can't seem to find any info on this that ISN'T on a prepared Raw Food manufacturer's or distributor's website, and naturally I'm hesitant to just agree with someone who has the potential to gain financially from my decision to feed EXCLUSIVELY on the more expensive food choice.
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 8:14pm PST 
I've been doing it over six years - first at 12 hour intervals, now every other day as my dogs are fed just once a day. I do have add ins to the kibble meals so they get something fresh each day. Farm fresh raw eggs one day and plain yogurt the other. Works for Lily and Moira and it does cost less than all raw, especially since meat has gone up so much and most dog food hasn't.
[notify]
Rocky

If you don't- claim it, it's- mine!

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 9:26pm PST 
I believe the logic is that dog intestines are short to help push food through faster so it doesn't have time to ferment and allow bacteria to proliferate. This is part of being a carnivore as herbivores and omnivores have much longer stomachs and flatter teeth to grind food. Kibble is inorganic and dry and takes a lot more work to process putting more strain on the body and staying in the body for longer periods of time. So you don't want to mix the two because you don't want the raw being held up in the intestines by the kibble and allowing bacteria growth that could make your pet sick. It's usually kibble can be fed six hours after raw or raw can be fed 12 hrs after kibble. It's kind of like how we aren't supposed to eat fruit after high protein meals because it holds up in the gut and allows for fermentation except we aren't dealing with foods that could have a high bacteria content since our food is all cooked and fresh.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 7:57am PST 
I am with Lily on this one. People have been dumping raw scraps on kibble for dogs since kibble was invented to stretch the meat. It is an internet myth but of course individual dogs won't do well on the mixture just like any other diet. We are being fed a line to keep us feeding the miraculous 'balanced' diet scientifically formulated by commercial dog food companies so we forget what real food is for dogs.

Go slow, feed less than you and your dog want and see how it goes. My dogs got a weekly beef rib for a few years for teeth cleaning and fun. That could have been dinner for them. The next day I might take away half the dinner kibble and mix in a whole egg, the following day a couple ounces of beef/pork chunks for half the dinner kibble.* If that went well I would mix the same sort of thing with breakfast as well and if that was great then might feed kibble in the morning and raw at night. I would keep to only 1-2 bony meals a week though, kibble is high in calcium and phosphorus already.

* Max only gets 10-12 ounces a day raw so 1/4 of his food would be 2.5 ounces.
[notify]
Coda

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 10:37am PST 
Okay, that makes sense. I think I'll just do one meal a day kibble and one meal raw food, once he's down to two meals a day (won't be much longer: he's already wanting more at his first feeding and not eating much at his lunchtime feeding anyway).
[notify]