GO!

Probably a Fairly Simple Question

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Tala

Cuivis dolori- remedium est- patientia

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 4:58pm PST 
What percent of Tala's body weight should I be feeding her if she is fairly active and still growing (though I don't know how big she will get)?

I am planning to switch to at least partial raw as we haven't really nailed down a diet for her yet. I am currently feeding Merrick grain free buffalo and sweet potato. I am worried she has some allergies as she has been a bit itchy and has developed a red rash under one of her eyes. She is up to date on flea medication so I'm thinking maybe allergies.
Planning a vet trip soon to check into it
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 6:58pm PST 
How old is she and how heavy is she? Some people know how to estimate how big a pup will grow from that. And this is all just an estimate anyway. You want to feed enough so she doesn't get skinny and not so much that she either doesn't digest it or gets plump.

How heavy are other pups that sort of resemble her? She is a first nation dog, right? I am sure there is a certain range of size and dogs that look more like her are have a size range all their own.
[notify]
Tala

Cuivis dolori- remedium est- patientia

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 7:06pm PST 
She is 7 months and 40lbs.
I've seen some dogs go through the rescue who resembled Tala that were closer to the 50-60 range. I don't know that she will get to 50 and I'd be surprised if she got to 60 but I really am not sure how to gage her as she has fairly small paws but is still growing.
She did come from a first nations reserve, but there is a pretty wide range that the pups reach. I wish I had the information of the individual who adopted her sister, who she was rescued with so I could compare sizes!
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 7:26pm PST 
I'd assume she might be 50 pounds and start with a full raw feed of 16 ounces a day. Max was about 8 months old and 33 pounds when he arrived home and stayed that for 8 years on low protein food that didn't help him grow any muscle. If she gets skinny feed more, chunky feed less same as any other diet.
[notify]