GO!

Giant Breed puppy on Raw Diet?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 11:51am PST 
Keep trying. Smart carnivores will taste new foods a few times first in case it isn't safe to eat. Pick it up and put back into the frig until tomorrow.

Ginger was a hoot starting organs. I put the teeniest bit in her dish and for about a week she ignored it and Max ate it. Then she licked it, then took it into her mouth then started to chew it. All that took another week or so and Max got her leavings. Finally she figured out that what she needed to do was roll in it and then it was edible. Now she downs it first just like Max does.

Some other ideas to try are to put the wing into a very hot pan to sear just the skin so it smells better, smear something smelly like peanut butter or Parmesan cheese on it or cut the meat nearly off the bone so they can get a grip on it.

Something that worked for Max was putting new stuff next to food he liked. Maybe putting the wing next to dinner kibble would get them started eating.

Me pushing the rejected food just puts a lot of pressure on the dog, I much prefer sneaking it in as an extra rather than this is dinner or you go without. Just putting down new food means Max may well go on a hunger strike but putting it next to familiar food works, he picks it up and tastes it, puts it down, eats the familiar food, picks up the new item and so far has always eaten it.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 1, '14 8:17pm PST 
The website with the lickochops stuff is not real raw food. They are selling you their supplements. With a real raw food diet you do not need any supplements. if you give veggies then you are not doing the raw food diet but the barf diet. My dogs are on the raw food diet and it's 80% meat 10% bone and 10% organ meat. You should start with chicken whole, quarters or half. According to the size of your dog, if it's a puppy, activity level. You feed 2% of dogs adult weight or 10% of puppy's weight. I have a Giant Alaskan malamute and he is 5 months and about 75 pounds and eats 3 pounds of raw food a day. I split it into 3 meals one pound each. He gets mostly red meat and a chicken quarter and 5% beef liver and 5% other organs. Heart is muscle meat. Organ meat is liver, kidney, brain etc... DO NOT COOK OR HEAT UP ANYTHING...My dog likes it right from the freezer other dogs like it defrost in fridge or room temp or in warm water. No recreational bones such as marrow, knuckle or soup bones they can break, crack teeth. Feed the RMB's raw Meaty Bones in the am such as half/whole or chicken quarters and the muscle and organ meat towards the later feedings. I was confused about raw diet and the barf diet at first but did lot's of research and found the healthiest and easiest to feed. I go to butchers, ethnic markets and supermarkets for the best prices. My butcher saves scraps for me also.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 1, '14 8:22pm PST 
The website with the lickochops stuff is not real raw food. They are selling you their supplements. With a real raw food diet you do not need any supplements. if you give veggies then you are not doing the raw food diet but the barf diet. My dogs are on the raw food diet and it's 80% meat 10% bone and 10% organ meat. You should start with chicken whole, quarters or half. According to the size of your dog, if it's a puppy, activity level. You feed 2% of dogs adult weight or 10% of puppy's weight. I have a Giant Alaskan malamute and he is 5 months and about 75 pounds and eats 3 pounds of raw food a day. I split it into 3 meals one pound each. He gets mostly red meat and a chicken quarter and 5% beef liver and 5% other organs. Heart is muscle meat. Organ meat is liver, kidney, brain etc... DO NOT COOK OR HEAT UP ANYTHING...My dog likes it right from the freezer other dogs like it defrost in fridge or room temp or in warm water. No recreational bones such as marrow, knuckle or soup bones they can break, crack teeth. Feed the RMB's raw Meaty Bones in the am such as half/whole or chicken quarters and the muscle and organ meat towards the later feedings. I was confused about raw diet and the barf diet at first but did lot's of research and found the healthiest and easiest to feed. I go to butchers, ethnic markets and supermarkets for the best prices. My butcher saves scraps for me also.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2