GO!

New diet

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Charm

Mr.Hungry

Barked: Fri Dec 20, '13 2:41am PST 
Hello,

I'm starting a new diet on my dogs, with Raw chicken, cod fish oil and "Anima Strath". It's been a month and they are in perfect form, the fur is incredible and the problems that they had prior had vanished. I stop given them Royal Canin.

I'm very glad to see that they are very well with what every veterinarian says in general not to give. They recommended Royal but they weren't in very good health.

What's your opinion?

Thank you in advance.
[notify]
Obi

Sassy Britches!

Barked: Fri Dec 20, '13 6:11am PST 
Make sure you are giving the dog the correct amounts of 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% other excreting organ (example: kidney, spleen, sweetbread).

Also remember since you are giving fish oil, you will also need to add vitamin E every once in a while.

Here is a good link for you to look at:
http://www.chanceslittlewebsite.com/prey-model-raw.html

Mo st vets don't take the elective course of nutrition and the pet food companies pay for their schooling. In return they usually sell the pet food that sponsored them. Royal Canin is very sub par if you actually look at the ingredients to what carnivores actually need.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/royal-canin- mini-dry/

Anyway if you have anymore questions, feel free to post them here and I am sure someone can help you!blue dog
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Dec 20, '13 11:38am PST 
Early days yet, a month isn't enough time to know if the new diet is perfect or not. Max's coat is still improving after 5.5 YEARS! Okay, I did see improvement in a couple months.

I don't have any idea whether the supplement completes the diet properly or not. Nice that it contains all those minerals and vitamins but some are needed in greater supply than others after all.

Just bony chicken and cod liver oil is going to be seriously high in calcium and phosphorus. I'd be boning the chicken, or better yet, add in boneless red meats. Liver and other organ are important to the diet as well unless that supplement happens to cover all the nutrients liver has which isn't known. Be extremely careful with the cod liver oil, you don't want to overdose it as it is so very high in vitamin D.

Glad you are seeing good things from feeding raw!
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri Dec 20, '13 12:41pm PST 
Cod oil my guess cod liver oil?

I'd switch to salmon oil once you start to give liver as you don't want to overdue it on liver..

What is the ingredients in Anima Strath? I never seen this stuff before .
[notify]