GO!

The great chicken standoff

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Aveda

Barked: Sat Dec 14, '13 11:00am PST 
I started Aveda on raw about a week ago, starting off with boneless skinless chicken breasts and she loved it. I've been feeding only at night so I've been hoping she would adjust but about the third day I noticed she was acting weird, almost nervous, after eating. I went out to check that she finished her meal and all looked well. The next morning I let her out and she ran straight to where she had left her entire meal, under the snow shock Not cool since we have bears and coyotes and mountain lions around, definitely won't let her do that again! I started confining her on the porch and watching her and realized that she won't eat in front of me. So I started watching from the window and all seems fine. Then I gave her a chicken leg quarter. And this is day 3 of our standoff. She nibbles at it but will not eat it. I tried cooking it for a few seconds and she seemed a little more willing but still would not eat. She knows it's food and guards it as such (not aggressively by any means) and she'll pick it up and carry it around but won't eat! Then I gave it to her this morning (since she hasn't eaten anything in 2 days now) confined on the porch. Sneaky thing waited until I walked away from the window for about 2 minutes, snuck through a hole in the porch rail and buried it in the yard! Luckily I saw her nosing leaves around so I went and retrieved it. So... how do I get her to eat? Should I try feeding something else and give up on quarters? Pick it up after a certain time? Is this behavior normal?? Help! shrug
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Dec 14, '13 4:57pm PST 
How has her poop been? If you start off with boneless meat then poop is likely to be loose and possibly uncomfortable. I suppose some dogs are aware enough that they won't want to eat if the gut is upset. There is little enough waste in raw as it is but take away the bone and a kibble fed dog's gut could get pretty uncomfortable.

I haven't had to cook new stuff to get the dogs to eat new stuff but I did play with a rabbit head to get Max to grab it to get started. You might think playing with a hunk of raw chicken is icky, try playing with a whole furry head! Eh, it worked and he ate it and the ones that followed. I am washable.

I think if she was doing fine eating boneless chicken breast then maybe bone in chicken breast would be a more logical next meal if she is a bit unsure of the new food. Take the skin off and do as you tried with the quarter, sear the outside of the meaty side of the cut. The ribs are much smaller and barely need crunching up to get down the throat compared to leg bones.

Other things people have tried is smearing something really tasty on the chicken, peanut butter and Parmesan cheese are often mentioned.

And waiting the dog out. Some dogs will get sick though. Max would these days but he did just fine years ago when I tried to get him to eat salmon head and pork hock. Three days each time, zero food in, dog was fine. Me, not so much.

Possibly cutting some meat off the bone and completely cooking it then covering the raw meaty bone and cooked meat with the cooled cooking liquid and offering that. Max tends to start eating and then will try strange new things. Usually dogs are familiar enough with cooked chicken they will eat that. Next day if she did a great job with the bones cook the chicken less or just repeat. Chicken ribs are easy to cut into chunks like the cooked meat if you want to go that far. I wouldn't, cut bone is poky but it does work if cut up small enough.

Are you sure you are feeding an appropriate amount of food? Start a 50 pound dog at 1 pound, 40 pound dog at 13 ounces and so on. It is better to feed less at the start of a new diet. Ginger looked like she lost a lot of weight as soon as that last kibble poop was deposited, good thing I know to put my hands on the dog because she definitely still needed that diet. I would rather not deal with nasty poop with a dog brand new to my home as well.

Last, are you sure you aren't pressuring her? We mean well but sometimes human body language is overbearing to dogs. Max also needs to eat in a familiar place. If I put his food in the garage or bathroom he probably wouldn't eat. If I face him or stare at him he is likely to gulp so it is better if I sit more than 5' away facing away at an angle.

Check Chance's raw feeding page to see if I missed any ideas that seem more doable to you.
http://www.chanceslittlewebsite.com/uploads/7/6/9/2/7692088/rv._6. 1_beginners_guide_to_prey_model_raw.pdf
[notify]
Aveda

Barked: Sun Dec 15, '13 12:12pm PST 
Good news, she finally ate it! I tried "playing" with it to encourage her- used a fork to scrape some of the skin aside while it was on the ground in front of her and she finally got it! And she really seemed to enjoy it too, and didn't mind that I was watching. I think she was feeling pressured and didn't really know what to do with it so was trying to eat it on her own terms. Unfortunately I can't let her hide raw meat around the yard to eat at her leisure so hopefully she'll learn that. Her stool has been fine so far, small as expected but not difficult or runny or anything. I've given her a little bit of canned pumpkin since she wasn't getting bones for a week and that seems to have helped the transition. As for feeding in a familiar place, I actually just moved to a new house so nothing here is particularly "familiar"! I used to feed her outside on nice days sometimes so I don't think that's too much of a change and even so, I can't bring myself to let her drag raw chicken all over the house so she's just going to have to get used to it! I actually don't even eat meat myself so this very much a learning experience for both of us. Thank you so much for your reply and being willing to help us newbies out!
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Dec 15, '13 1:29pm PST 
Glad she figured it out.

Other dogs hanging around help too. Long ago Max hadn't had chicken for a month and when it was back in his bowl he was miffed, would rather have had pork/beef/lamb. So Sassy wandered by oh so casually looking at his bowl and he managed to pick up the chicken and choke it down.
[notify]