GO!

Anal gland issues on raw?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Shadow

Barked: Thu Dec 5, '13 4:42pm PST 
Has anyone's dogs had any issues with their anal glands eating raw? Shadow's have possibly been expressed a few times here or there over the course of his life but he never really had any issues with them. A few weeks ago I noticed some blood spots on the floor and it turns out one of his anal glands ruptured. He didn't give any sign that he was having an issue. The vet said that the pluses of the raw diet are that they have smaller stool but that it isn't always large enough to express the glands. Is this a common issue among raw fed dogs? Or could it be it's because he is a senior dog and they can have these kinds of problems as they get older?

Edited by author Thu Dec 5, '13 4:44pm PST

[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Dec 10, '13 5:56pm PST 
Vance's anal glands abscessed on raw, always without warning. For some reason it only happened when he was blowing coat - the rest of the time he was fine. If I added fiber to his diet, he was fine. I don't have the faintest idea what the connection was. It doesn't seem possible there is one, but it was every darn time he blew his coat, while he was eating raw (with no fiber - I would think he was all set after a few weeks of no problems and quit adding fiber, then we'd be right back where we started next coat blow).

Coconut oil may have helped too - I always added it with fiber, so it could have been either. In any case, I never had a problem while he was getting coconut oil. A lot of people say probiotics help, although Vance was on them constantly and his glands would still abscess... Then again, he was on them constantly because his GI tract was always a mess, no matter what we did.
[notify]
Shadow

Barked: Wed Dec 18, '13 11:27am PST 
What did you add as a source of fiber?
[notify]

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Fri Dec 20, '13 6:19am PST 
All sorts of stuff. Pumpkin, squash, sweet potatoes; pureed beets, garbanzo beans, lentils, split peas... It only takes a couple spoonfuls for maintenance. Usually I'd lean toward the dried legumes because they're super cheap (just make sure they aren't flavored - split peas in particular often have ham seasonings added).

I've heard of people cooking up a whole bag and freezing it in ice trays for storage and easy portioning. Never tried it myself because I was going through it fast enough that it didn't matter. I don't have a freezer now, so I keep a lot of no-salt canned veggies and an airtight container of dried legumes to cook up a little at a time.

Edited by author Fri Dec 20, '13 6:21am PST

[notify]