GO!

Live food

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jones

Life is an- adventure. Lets- explore.

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 4:30am PST 
I have been a google fiend over the last 2 months with regards to switching to PMR diet for my boy.

Jones has been on raw for nearly 3 weeks now, and I introduced him to turkey this week, and he likes it as much as chicken, which he loves. laugh out loud For all that he hated kibble, he is making up for that with how much he loves raw food.

Anyhow, back on topic.

During my googlathon I found videos of people feeding their dogs live food. It was a smallish terrier type dog. Maybe 20lbs or so, and the released the rodent (I saw rats and rabbits in different videos) and the dog was then released to chase, kill and eat his "meal".

I am not a squeamish person, and I know that nature is not polite about meal times. But have any of you ever seen anything like this. shrug It seemed like they were taking PMR a little too literally.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 10:53am PST 
That is definitely not normal, and there is a lot that can go wrong.

Prey not defenseless. Your dog could be injured in the hunt. If you make the prey defenseless before releasing it... Frankly, you are sick.

Your dog may not be a very good hunter. This would mean a slow, painful death for the prey. Sure, that's often how it happens in nature, but if we have the ability to move beyond that shouldn't we do it?

Predators fail more often than they succeed. This means the prey ends up loose in your house (keep an exterminator on speed dial), or loose outdoors (hope it's not an alien, invasive species). And then what - is there a back up meal in the fridge? Keep releasing prey until they finally get one? ...Or you could basically build an arena from which there is no hope of escape (see the first point).

On top of all that, depending on what the prey is, you are teaching your dog to hunt and kill animals many people keep as pets, or livestock. This could go horribly wrong, should your dog ever accidentally get loose, or you go visiting a friend who has rabbits.

I'm not against hunting with dogs, or killing for food. I know people who raise their own "dog food." They dispatch it as humanely as possible before it gets to their dog. I also know people who hunt small game with sighthounds, which, when successful, does result in the death of the small game at the dog's - erm, mouth. Both are dramatically different than effectively staging an execution.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 1:08pm PST 
Yes, some people do it, but I totally agree with Ember. Even aside from the moral aspects of a canned hunt, rats and rabbits fighting for their lives can cause serious injury, even to animals much larger than themselves.
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 2:26pm PST 
Pet snakes can get badly bitten up by live prey.. I don't feed live prey to my snakes for that very reason. Pictures I seen are pretty yucky.

The mouse rabbit will try anything to protect itself flight or fight take away it's flight it'll try to fight.

rabbit and rats teeth are sharp!

I'd never release rats, rabbits as they are not native.. Well I have wild rabbits, but the ones from pet store are way different from wild kind. different rabbit breeds and coloration. Rabbits I see are brown and once in while there would be small variation like lighter brown, but never seen a black or white wild rabbit here.

I find it cruel to release a animal like that especially if it can't escape and if it can escape it is not good as it isn't native..

I've worked with the dogs to not chase deers and come when called.. I've recalled them off rabbits. most times the rabbit is too fast for the dogs. Some rabbits are dumb and don't run away till your 4feet away!? Crazy things teasing the dogs.

I myself do feed whole prey like quail, but I get it from hare today which they're humanely killed.

I plan to raise chickens for their eggs and meat. Coarse it'll be done humanely and quickest way possible.
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 6:00pm PST 
Really good points that I hadn't thought of. Personally I couldn't feed live because my dog would just chase and play, chase and play. He'd go hungry and the poor prey would probably die eventually from the trauma...
[notify]
Jones

Life is an- adventure. Lets- explore.

Barked: Wed Oct 23, '13 4:02am PST 
Sorry everyone if I made it sound like this is something that I am planning to do. I think lure of sight hounds is a fun sport to watch, but that's not a real rabbit/hare.

I came across live feeding online, and was wondering if anyone else had seen it or heard of it, and if it was "normal". From your responses I am guessing that it is not.

Jones has a pretty high prey drive, so I have actually been working on him not chasing things. So far he is getting better at it impulse control.

Sorry if I stepped on toes. I didn't mean to.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Oct 23, '13 2:59pm PST 
I don't think you offended anyone; I thought it was pretty clear what you were asking anyway. It's just a subject that people feel passionately about so the answers may have seemed a little heated.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Oct 25, '13 1:42am PST 
When my dog was younger I used to take him rabbit coursing but he was completely hopeless and never caught anything. He is also a very bad killer the few times he's caught birds and mice in the garden, I've had to dispatch them myself which isn't nice at all. I'd never let him go on a canned hunt, it would be so cruel to the prey, and it would more than likely get away somehow anyway! It's disheartening that people are playing 'nature' like this. Prey should always have a sporting chance.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Fri Oct 25, '13 6:25pm PST 
sometimes it happens, but it should never be on purpose. Dogs will kill vermin in the backyard. Mine have brought me shrews, mice, and even baby bunnies and ground squirrels. I've actually caught foxxy in the process of dispatching a ground squirrel on one occasion and a shrew on another, and a baby bunny the second after I heard the tiny scream when it was already too late, but she's efficient about it. She lived feral for some unknown part of her life, and so to her' it's just business. stomp to disorient, grab by the neck, shake, eat, or share. i have a sick feeling that people who intentionally buy live creatures for the dog are doing it for their own amusement. It's not amusing, it's life or death.

I would never deliberately give her live prey. Even people who do earthdog don't. They keep the rats safely in their cages. There are just so many forms of stimulation you can do with your dog that killing is not necessary.
[notify]
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Sun Oct 27, '13 2:29pm PST 
I think the thing that really bothers me is people posting videos online, showing their animals dispatching of other animals. It seems a little... I guess, disrespectful and crude that they think it's something amusing to show off. And I don't consider myself a particularly squeamish person, but treating the killing of another as some kind of show really turns my insides. It is vastly different than a predator taking down prey in the wild.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2