GO!

Raw diet

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Fri Oct 11, '13 1:34pm PST 
I have had full blood screening on my dog who is fed a full raw barf diet and has been for 6 years or more he is nearly 9 and had started drinking more whilst on cartrophen injections only the first two and stopped them. He had also previously been on metacam for a while these both being for his chronic hip arthritis. He had two spells of vomiting also . All meds stopped and drinking has returned too normal he is fine in himself . But the result are showing a lot higher enzyme levels than are normal ALT and ALKP are the ones which are a lot higher than they should be. Could this be to do with diet???.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Oct 11, '13 1:59pm PST 
Perhaps the meds are still bothering his liver. When on Metacam it is suggested to check liver function, don't know about the other one.

Max had a panel done before a minor surgery and his liver function was spot on normal. He has been eating prey model raw for 5.5 years now.
[notify]
Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Fri Oct 11, '13 3:39pm PST 
I agree with Max. MOST all arthritis drugs are extremely hard on the liver and it takes months and months to return to normal after stopping these drugs.
Many Labradors are so sensitive to Rimadyl that they can suffer complete liver failure from just ONE dose of it.
I would definitely start supplementing with Milk Thistle and maybe even SamE. It can't hurt and can certainly help!

Edited by author Wed Oct 23, '13 2:48pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Fri Oct 11, '13 4:14pm PST 
Thanks any further messages appreciated could the barf be pushing the results higher on the enzymes.??
[notify]