GO!

Started Raw, Pup is coughing and snorting

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Wed Oct 9, '13 12:37pm PST 
So I've had a bit of a saga with my pup. I started him on raw right when I brought him home at 9 weeks, but never could get his stool solid. So I gave up and tried a bunch of different high quality grain free dog foods. He stabilized at around 5 months on canidae pure sky, and has been improving ever since. I have wanted to get him back on raw ever since taking him off. Through trial and error, I discovered that he is allergic and intolerant to chicken. It causes diarrhea and excessive itching.

Anyway, I started him on pork about a week ago. I've been giving him spare ribs and pork vertebrae along with boneless 'stew' meat to balance out the bone content. His stool has been nice and solid, aside from the first day, but he is having another issue. He is coughing and snorting, as if something went down the wrong pipe, or up his nose. It's not constant, but it happens a couple of times a day. Any thoughts on what might cause this?
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Oct 9, '13 2:14pm PST 
Possibly reverse sneezing. Look for a video (on a safe website) and see if that is it.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Oct 9, '13 10:52pm PST 
It could be that she is choking on something, like a small shard of something. It could also be that she is inhaling a bit of something. Try mixing it with a bit of room temp water, and giving it to her a bit at a time instead of all at once. Good luck.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Oct 9, '13 10:53pm PST 
oops, he* wink
[notify]