GO!

To Use Flea Preventatives or Not?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Tue Oct 8, '13 1:36pm PST 
I just moved to a region that is very hospitable to fleas. Cooper is 4.5 years old and I has never had a flea until we moved over here.

My new natural vet (he recommended a raw diet) told me to avoid chemical flea preventatives like Frontline and Advantix. I have gone against his advice three times now because I can't seem to get rid of the things.

I feel so guilty when I put the medicine on him. I know it's a poison and is harmful to my dog.

This forum is full of educated, responsible pet owners. Do you use chemical flea preventatives? What are your thoughts and opinions about it? Natural solutions? What works and what doesn't?
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Oct 8, '13 2:51pm PST 
Mulder has horrid flea allergies, to the point where he will scratch himself until he bleeds and is miserable if even one flea bites him.

I live in Alabama, where fleas are epidemic. I've tried the natural stuff, and while it HELPS, does NOT completely prevent fleas (at least in my experience). So for me, using the preventatives is the lesser of evils. I use Advantix currently, and I only treat during the late spring/early summer months when the fleas are at their worst. I'm also outside frequently with mine, hike a lot, and frequent places where you're BOUND to pick up a flea or two, regardless of the condition your dog is in or how careful you are.

If your dog doesn't have allergies, you can play around with some of the more natural preventatives like neem/peperment oil/garlic/etc. and see what works. If you have a serious issue, though, I wouldn't feel bad about using the chemicals if its keeping your dog safe.
[notify]