GO!

Struggling to cut costs

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Neeko

I listen...when- I want to

Barked: Sat Sep 7, '13 8:25pm PST 
Ember-can you post links or more information regarding beef heart causing nutritional deficiencies? It is one of our staples, and I see no problem with it. As long as some variety is offered, what deficiencies can it cause?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Sep 7, '13 8:46pm PST 
As far as I know it is better to limit heart because it is both higher in iron and lower in zinc than skeletal beef muscle. If I put beef heart into Max's basic recipe instead of skeletal beef muscle he would be getting 130% of his iron and 30% of his zinc and with hamburger 100% of iron and 60% of zinc. His basic recipe is half beef, half pork with pork and beef liver and kidney, really bony chicken like feet, backs and ribs so he can have more boneless pork and beef and some fresh fish.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 8:08am PST 
Pretty much what Maxwell said. It's also higher in copper, which is a necessary mineral, but can block the absorption of zinc if it's always fed in higher amounts.

Doubly significant if you're feeding northern breeds, as they are genetically prone to zinc deficiency to start with. Also certain breeds are prone to problems with copper, although I don't regularly feed any of them so I can't remember them off the top of my head.

Self Nutrition Data: Raw Beef Heart
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2