GO!

Raw food diet

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Ranger

Barked: Fri Aug 16, '13 11:50am PST 
Started transitioning my dog to raw yesterday, does anyone know if flaking is normal when first starting the raw food, he has never flaked before, but this morning I noticed it, and it's really bad!
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Fri Aug 16, '13 12:37pm PST 
What do you mean by "flaking?"

Generally, unless the symptoms are GI-related, you aren't going to see any effects of transitioning in less than 24 hours.
[notify]
Ranger

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 6:37am PST 
What I meant by flaking is, I guess it looks like dandruff all over his back, since my first posting on the 16th dandruff is now gone, but now his stomach is making a lot of noise. Still transitioning him over to raw, It's been 5 days.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 7:52am PST 
I hadn't any idea what could cause flaking after a day on raw until I remembered. Stress. My dogs shed big time at the vet due to stress and flaking can also happen when a dog is stressed out. Take it as a sign that this new diet is A Very Big Deal to your dog. My worrywort was all it is about time you fed me the right stuff but your dog may be anxious about the whole thing.

Guess that means to be careful to feed no more than the dog needs or the next stress related reaction may be from the gut and a lot more dramatic than gut rumbles. Be relaxed when feeding, if you had concerns about the dog eating bone your dog likely picked up on it. Be sure where he eats isn't busy and there aren't any dogs/cats/children around so he knows this is his food and he won't be bothered.

Max only had issues with noisy/gassy guts when he overate or got too much fat. What are you feeding him? If you are feeding bony chicken you could see if pulling the easy to remove skin off for a couple days helps. Max had trouble with leg bones at first, you could try breast quarters instead if you buy whole birds.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 8:40am PST 
Ah. Dandruff can be very connected to environment as well. If you just had a certain allergen bloom in your area, it can cause that. Also, many dogs will get dry skin for quite a while, but unless you really ruffle up their fur it doesn't always show. So probably a combination of factors, including possible stress, and your hypersensitivity to his current well-being.

As far as stomach grumbling, I went the other direction as Maxwell. My guys get gurgley if they don't have enough in their stomach. This can be an issue with raw, since it digests faster than kibble and can take some time for the dog's system to adjust. If this is the case, splitting his daily allotment into 3 meals instead of 2, or adding some fiber back into his diet can help keep him fuller longer. If you have been feeding ground meat (which is so broken down it digests very quickly), try adding whole items you're comfortable with at least once a day.
[notify]