GO!

help . . . diagnosed with heart murmur

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Carli

Barked: Mon Aug 12, '13 1:47pm PST 
This is my first post. Friday my little Carli (age 13) collapsed on the street while we were going for a walk. She was like a rag doll in my arms and I was so scared. She was out for a couple of seconds and then seized. Had her at the vets who ran tests and told me everything looked ok but her heart was slightly enlarged. Said that was no unusual for a dog her age. Next day her breathing wasn't right to me so I took her in. Saw another Vet who said she had a significant heart murmur. Gave me meds for her. She has vomited twice and wont eat. She always was a picky eater. Reading about raw meat diet and holistic supplements. Need some guidance. She's my baby and I want to do all I can for her. If anyone can help; I'd appreciate it.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Aug 13, '13 3:52am PST 
Sorry to hear that. Hope someone else can pop in and give you advice. Good Luck!
[notify]
Belle

Will Take you- On!

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 8:07am PST 
There are definitely avenues you could take with holistic care, but you have to be careful due to how sick she is right now. Ideally, find a holistic vet to work with.

Strictly in terms of heart disease, supplementing with taurine can help stall the progression of many heart conditions.

What tests did the vet do? Do you know how her organ function is overall? What meds is she on now? The vomiting and lethargy could be a side-effect. Either way, I'd touch base with the vet about it.

In this situation, I would not go straight to raw. Get her on a bland, homecooked diet and get her stabilized. As she feels better, you can expand to a more inclusive, balanced diet. If that goes well, you would be in a position to look at trying raw. The problem with going there straight off is that you have a 13-year-old body that is used to getting the same thing every day. The sudden change of protein ratios and the form of the food could shock her system, especially if there is also an underlying liver/kidney/spleen/etc issue (also not uncommon for a 13-year-old). At this point she just needs basic, easy to digest calories going in.

Belle used to collapse from her heart disease too. It's scary, but it's actually saving their heart from overworking. The "seizing," at least in our case, was not a seizure at all but panic over why she was unable to control her body. We were able to teach her to lay down and be still as possible when it started to happen, which made it easier to get through and stopped her from hurting herself falling. Some dogs will be too nervous for that to work, but it's worth a try.

Edited by author Wed Aug 14, '13 8:09am PST

[notify]

Belle

Will Take you- On!

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 8:07am PST 
There are definitely avenues you could take with holistic care, but you have to be careful due to how sick she is right now. Ideally, find a holistic vet to work with.

Strictly in terms of heart disease, supplementing with taurine can help stall the progression of many heart conditions.

What tests did the vet do? Do you know how her organ function is overall? What meds is she on now? The vomiting and lethargy could be a side-effect. Either way, I'd touch base with the vet about it.

In this situation, I would not go straight to raw. Get her on a bland, homecooked diet and get her stabilized. As she feels better, you can expand to a more inclusive, balanced diet. If that goes well, you would be in a position to look at trying raw. The problem with going there straight off is that you have a 13-year-old body that is used to getting the same thing every day. The sudden change of protein ratios and the form of the food could shock her system, especially if there is also an underlying liver/kidney/spleen/etc issue (also not uncommon for a 13-year-old). At this point she just needs basic, easy to digest calories going in.

Belle used to collapse from her heart disease too. It's scary, but it's actually saving their heart from overworking. We were able to teach her to lay down and be still as possible when it started to happen, which made it easier to get through and stopped her from hurting herself falling. Some dogs will be too nervous for that to work, but it's worth a try.
[notify]