GO!

RAW, diarrhea and a lecture from the vet. HELP!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Ralphie

The Ralphinator

Barked: Fri Aug 9, '13 4:52pm PST 
After a crazy heat wave here in July, Ralph, who has been on a RMB diet for almost a year, got diarrhea. It wasn't getting better (not even after the heat wave left) so I took him into the vet for a check up. I just KNEW I was going to get a lecture on feeding raw, and sure enough, I did.
Ralph was put on an antiprotozoal, the vet claiming salmonella the culprite, and he was put on a bag of gastrointestinal dry food, and 4 cans of wet, along with some major probiotics.
Ralph is ALMOST done his kibble and has started licking his paws again, getting major eye boogers and just not seeming interested in this new food (I knew all of this was going to happen.)
So, what do I do after the bag is done? Do I just start him back on RMB diet, or cook his food?
I'm certain his issue was due to MY error. I'm pretty sure leaving frozen meat to thaw in the sink during a heat wave was MY fault (not my brightest moment) and that's why poor Ralph got sick.
Suggestions?
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Fri Aug 9, '13 9:57pm PST 
I feed premade, but I take the Pattie out of the freezer at like 6 pm for the food for the next day and I put it in a rubber made container in the refrigerator. I would think thawing it in the refrigerator might be worth a try. Sandy was very very sick on all other dog foods we tried( yes even the gastrointestinal food from the vet and the hydrolyzed protein). He does not ever get sick from his premade raw patties and I thaw them out in the refrigerator.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Fri Aug 9, '13 11:01pm PST 
dog walk to bump past spambot
[notify]

Ralphie

The Ralphinator

Barked: Sat Aug 10, '13 5:37am PST 
Sandy, by premade, so you mean you cook a premade meal, or you make raw premade patties?
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Sat Aug 10, '13 10:18am PST 
I feed Stella and chewys raw frozen premade patties, but I was thinking even if u wanna make your own raw u could still use the refrigerator like I do to thaw your meals. Of course it does take longer. I take sandys food for the next day out of the freezer at 6pm and I put it right into the refrigerator in a rubber made container. I suggested this since u thought that thawing your meals on the counter may have caused bacteria growth. If u r interested in checking out the premade Stella and chewys they have a website and the phone number they provide puts u in touch with someone who will answer all your questions. They do independent studies to test for bacteria in their food and publish results. I really like it and sandy only had diarrhea the first week he ate it and has not been sick since and we rotate proteins every month.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Aug 10, '13 11:29am PST 
Poor Ralphie, glad he is better now even if it meant getting nasty medicine and food for a while.

Was it squirty couldn't get outside fast enough lots of times a day poop or the annoying too soft to pick up on walks poop?

We were having the too soft kind during the second walk of the day so I started feeding twice a day for now and try to keep meals leaner and uniform in size. Cannot blame heat, I suspect it is due to stress from all the excitement having a new dog in the house and a minor surgery - a couple of eyelid tumors had to come off Max 2 weeks ago.

I have fed nasty stinky food to Max on occasion and never has it bothered him. I
suspect the heat has more to do with his wonky digestion. I do think it is sensible to defrost in the frig anyway and it certainly isn't ideal to feed stinky meat!

I'd go right back to raw but do it from the start. Feed measured amounts of skinned bony chicken until you see good quality poop, leave a little skin on and move to other proteins and organs as he gets better. Be certain the meats aren't enhanced and thaw in the refrigerator!
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Sat Aug 10, '13 11:43am PST 
Definitely not salmonella. Food poisoning doesn't last more than a day for dogs, and look the same way as they do in people: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea in the form of "the runs", and lethargy.

Charlie had a case of this once from a particularly bad choice of meat, and the major symptoms only lasted a few hours the night of the meal. He was in and out for the bathroom every 10-20 minutes, and was completely lethargic. He finally went to sleep and everything was back to normal by the next afternoon.

I really don't think many vets understand salmonella/e-coli.. because they always diagnose it like this. It's incredibly common for a dog to be carrying salmonella in its stool, but incredibly uncommon for the bacteria to spread and cause a problem in its gut.

Anyways, I think the best thing to do would be starting very slowly again, as if you were starting raw over, at least for the next week. Bland proteins with bone content and limit fat.
[notify]