GO!

Starting mini schnauzer on raw

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 8:50am PST 
I just started my 14lb mini schnauzer on raw. I am able to get chicken backs and necks, as well as ground beef with bone, all grass-fed. I understand I should be feeding her about 10% of her body weight. She is 1.5 years old - should I be feeding this in one meal or break it up into two? I have fed her Canidae grain free twice a day up until now. I plan to use that as a back up when she can't get raw.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 11:10am PST 
You can split the food into as many meals as you like but it is 2% of the ideal adult weight of the dog for starters, not 10%. 10% is the amount you feed a tiny pup and that is the actual weight of the pup that week so you have to keep changing it. This is all just a starting point. If the dog or pup gets chunky you feed less and if he/she gets skinny feed more same as any other diet.

What about organ? Part of the food must be 1/2 liver and 1/2 other organs such as kidney, pancreas, spleen, brain. Max conveniently eats 10 ounces a day. 1 ounce is bone encased in meat, 1/2 ounce is beef/chicken/pork liver and 1/2 ounce is beef/pork kidney, he gets boneless meat to make up the rest of his 10 ounces a day.

Really bony chicken is fine, I use a lot of it too. After your dog is used to plain bony chicken slowly move to feeding half bony chicken and half boneless pork/beef/lamb/venison so the dog isn't getting too much bone.

Your beef+bone grind sounds very nice but do ask the butcher how much bone is ground in. Ideally it would be only 10% bone, that would be about 14 ounces of meat to 2 ounces of bone. If it is more then add boneless meat to reduce the amount of bone fed.
[notify]