GO!

Beginning an Akita/Pitbull on a raw diet. How to start?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Oliver

Barked: Wed Aug 7, '13 7:31pm PST 
I want to start my 2 year old Akita/Pitbull on a raw diet because of the many benefits that are included. I have read some articles, but still a little weary on where to start and how many portions I should be feeding her in a day. Can I feed her raw and kibble? Thanks!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Aug 7, '13 9:54pm PST 
It is up to you how often you feed your dog. Most of us end up feeding once a day but feed what works. Currently the weather here is so nice I am taking the dogs for walks morning and evening and their guts are more comfortable if I feed after walks. Both dogs. Even though Max has been eating raw for 5.5 years the stress of having a new dog in the house has taken its toll on his gut and he has been having 'exercise diarrhea' during the second walk. Glad I did a little experimenting!

One very important reason to consider feeding once a day is so you can feed something large enough. Lots of dogs will gulp down insufficiently chomped bits if the bit is too small, not good. Max is fine but we are living on the edge with Ginger, she really loves her new diet and rushes things a bit.

The starting point for amount to feed is 2% of the adult dog's ideal weight. A 50 pound dog starts at 16 ounces or a pound a day total. If you can find a bag of chicken quarters, usually they average a pound each. If you can find 4 pound chickens then quarter them and there you are.
[notify]